Interstellar Movie - Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the scene in Interstellar where the characters use their engines to rotate the mothership in order to simulate gravity. The question is raised about how this is possible without any external torque being applied. The explanation is given that just like how rockets increase linear momentum, the angular momentum of the system (ship + gases) is conserved. It is also mentioned that the ship is not a closed system and can be controlled using gyroscopes or flywheels.
robbertypob
OK, so I'm right in the middle of watching Interstellar and I've just seen the part where they have docked with the 'mothership' and they fire up their engines to get it to rotate. This is so they can generate a centrifugal force to simulate gravity.

My question is - first the ship was not rotating and they took action to make it rotate. How could this possibly be? Angular momentum started at 0 and was increased without any apparent external torque being applied.

Please could somebody help me out?

Likes PFuser1232
Physics news on Phys.org
robbertypob said:
How could this possibly be? Angular momentum started at 0 and was increased without any apparent external torque being applied.
Do you understand how rockets increase their linear momentum, without violating momentum conservation? Angular momentum is analogous.

Whole system(rocket + gases, which came out of engines) angular momentum was conserved. Gases, which came out of engines got opposite angular momentum.

Just like linear momentum is conserved when rocket accelerates - gases ,which come out of engine get opposite linear momentum,so whole system linear momentum is conserved.
robbertypob said:
My question is - first the ship was not rotating and they took action to make it rotate.
Only the ship is not closed system. Closed system is ship +Gases ,which come out of engines.

Last edited:
Even without rockets you can control a craft's rotation using gyroscopes/flywheels.

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless an external torque is applied.

How does conservation of angular momentum apply to the "Interstellar" movie?

In the movie "Interstellar", conservation of angular momentum is demonstrated when the spacecraft Endurance rotates to create artificial gravity for the crew. By spinning, the spacecraft's angular momentum is conserved, allowing the crew to experience a gravitational force.

Is conservation of angular momentum a real scientific concept?

Yes, conservation of angular momentum is a well-established principle in physics that has been observed and tested in numerous experiments. It is a crucial concept in understanding the motion of objects in space, such as planets orbiting around the sun.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum?

A spinning skater pulling in their arms to increase their rotational speed, a planet rotating on its axis, and a spinning top maintaining its upright position are all examples of conservation of angular momentum in action.

Are there any exceptions to the conservation of angular momentum?

There are certain situations where the conservation of angular momentum does not apply, such as when an external torque is applied to a system. In these cases, the total angular momentum of the system can change over time.