Intro to QFT notes/texts (minimal "external guidance")

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of an undergraduate Intro to QFT course at a university and the need for self-study materials. The individual also asks for opinions on specific QFT notes and provides their educational background. Two recommended resources are suggested - David Tong's lecture notes and John McGreevy's course website. Additionally, a book for self-study is also recommended.
WWCY
Hi everyone,

My university has completely scrapped an undergrad Intro to QFT course and I am essentially left with no choice but to do self-study with no (worst-case scenario) external guidance.

Are there notes or texts that can be used for such a purpose? Would be a nice bonus if there's a taster of SM/BSM stuff at the end as well.

If possible, I'd also like to know your opinions on Weigand's QFT I+II notes as I see it being recommended a lot.

Some educational background, if it's useful:

- QM: Up to Fock space, second quantisation and some QED-lite. No path-integral formulation of QM.
- EM: Up to Lagrangian formulation of EM.
- Very rudimentary understanding of Noether's theorem
- Complex methods: Some idea of how to do contour integrals and whatnot
- No group theory

Thanks in advance!

Likes vanhees71 and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Cheers, thanks!

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for quantum field theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. Why is QFT important?

QFT is important because it provides a more complete understanding of the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It has been successful in predicting and explaining many experimental results, and it is a crucial tool for studying and developing new theories in particle physics.

3. What is the difference between classical field theory and quantum field theory?

Classical field theory describes the behavior of classical (non-quantum) fields, such as the electromagnetic field. Quantum field theory, on the other hand, takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of quantum fields, which are made up of discrete particles and can have unpredictable fluctuations.

4. What are the basic principles of QFT?

The basic principles of QFT include the concept of quantization, which states that energy and other physical quantities can only exist in discrete units, and the uncertainty principle, which states that there is a limit to how accurately we can measure certain physical quantities. QFT also incorporates the idea of symmetries, which play a crucial role in the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. How is QFT used in practical applications?

QFT is used in many practical applications, including in the development of new technologies such as transistors and lasers. It is also used in particle accelerators to study the behavior of subatomic particles and in cosmology to understand the early universe. Additionally, QFT has implications for fields such as quantum computing and materials science.