Introduction to Mechanics by K&K

In summary: It would be better to wait until you start chapters on torque and angular momentum specifically dealing with rotational motion before trying to solve those problems.
PFuser1232
In the first chapter of this book, "Vectors and Kinematics - A few mathematical preliminaries", kinematical equations in both polar and cartesian coordinates are introduced (including acceleration in polar coordinates). However, no reference is made to motion with both translation and rotation. In fact, the term reference frame isn't even defined in chapter one (it is first encountered in chapter two).
Although there's been absolutely no treatment of rigid body rotations and translations in chapter one, there are a couple of questions at the end of the chapter based on drums rolling without slipping on inclined planes, finding angular acceleration, and so on. Granted, the questions are trivial (to someone who already has some knowledge of rigid body rotation), but my knowledge of rigid body dynamics and simultaneous translation and rotation is very limited at the moment. Should I defer solving those questions until I start the chapters on torque and angular momentum? Why are those questions included in chapter one?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem they are appropriate for the chapter since this is an established book and that fact that the chapter covered polar coordinates as a review. The specific problem you mention just wants to tie movement down a plane with rotation of the disk. There's no torque or momentum involved.

jedishrfu said:
It would seem they are appropriate for the chapter since this is an established book and that fact that the chapter covered polar coordinates as a review. The specific problem you mention just wants to tie movement down a plane with rotation of the disk. There's no torque or momentum involved.

I thought that in chapter one some knowledge of AP Physics is assumed. I have done the UK equivalent of AP Physics, but with absolutely no emphasis on rotational motion. Is it possible to do the questions I have mentioned in my previous post without being exposed to simultaneous translations and rotations beforehand?

The book does not assume any mechanics knowledge, it derives everything from scratch (to the best of my memory). I second jedishrfu.

1. What is "Introduction to Mechanics by K&K"?

"Introduction to Mechanics by K&K" is a textbook written by Kleppner and Kolenkow that covers the fundamental principles of classical mechanics. This book is commonly used in introductory physics courses for undergraduate students.

2. What topics are covered in "Introduction to Mechanics by K&K"?

The book covers topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, conservation laws, rotational motion, and oscillations. It also includes chapters on special relativity and Lagrangian mechanics.

3. Is "Introduction to Mechanics by K&K" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Introduction to Mechanics by K&K" is designed for students with little to no background in mechanics. The book provides clear explanations and examples to help students grasp the concepts.

4. Are there any supplemental resources available for "Introduction to Mechanics by K&K"?

Yes, there are various online resources available such as lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials that can aid in understanding the material covered in the book.

5. Is "Introduction to Mechanics by K&K" only for physics students?

No, "Introduction to Mechanics by K&K" can also be useful for students in other fields such as engineering and mathematics. The concepts and principles covered in the book are applicable in various scientific and technical fields.