Introduction to Simple Matrix Rings in Noncommutative Algebra

We could also define matrix multiplication with fewer scalar multiplications and get a different matrix ring.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with some aspects of Bresar's Example 1.10 on a simple matrix ring over a division ring ...

Example 1.10, including some preamble, reads as follows:
?temp_hash=0d1733a7c5582f06a2878772fa2eb20b.png
In the above text from Bresar we read the following:

" ... and hence also ##(d a_{jk}^{-1} ) E_{ii} \cdot a_{jk} E_{il} = d E_{il} \in I ## for every ##d \in D##. Consequently, ##I = M_n(D)##. ... ... "My questions are as follows:Question 1I am assuming that ##(d a_{jk}^{-1} ) E_{ii} \cdot a_{jk} E_{il} = d E_{il}## because you can take the "scalars" out of the multiplication and multiply them as in

##c_1 (a_{ij} ) \cdot c_2 (b_{ij} ) = c_1 c_2 (a_{ij} ) \cdot (b_{ij} )##Is that correct?(Note: why we are messing with multiplications by scalars in a problem on rings, I don't know ... we seem to be treating the ring ##M_n (D)## as an algebra over ##D## ... )

Question 2Bresar seems to be assuming that ##d E_{il} \in I ## for all ##1 \le i, l \le n## and for every ##d \in D## implies that ##I = M_n (D)## ...

But ... ... why exactly is this true ...My thoughts ... maybe it is true because the ##E_{il}## generate the ring ##M_n (D)## ... or to put it another way ... any element in ##I## or ##M_n (D)## can be written uniquely in the form ##\sum_{i, j = 1}^n d_{ij} E_{ij}## ...and further, that all the ##E_{ij}## belong to I ...Help with these questions will be appreciated ...

Peter==============================================================================

So that readers of the above post can appreciate the relevant context of the post, I am providing the introduction to Section 1.3 Simple Rings ... as follows:

Attachments

• Bresar - Example 1.10 on Matrix Rings ... ....png
    Bresar - Example 1.10 on Matrix Rings ... ....png
    43.5 KB · Views: 849
  • Bresar - 1 - Simple Rings - PART 1 ... ....png
    Bresar - 1 - Simple Rings - PART 1 ... ....png
    75.8 KB · Views: 600
  • Bresar - 2 - Simple Rings - PART 2 ... ....png
    Bresar - 2 - Simple Rings - PART 2 ... ....png
    81.8 KB · Views: 645
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Question 1
I am assuming that ##(d a_{jk}^{-1} ) E_{ii} \cdot a_{jk} E_{il} = d E_{il}## because you can take the "scalars" out of the multiplication and multiply them as in
##c_1 (a_{ij} ) \cdot c_2 (b_{ij} ) = c_1 c_2 (a_{ij} ) \cdot (b_{ij} )##
Is that correct?
Yes.
(Note: why we are messing with multiplications by scalars in a problem on rings, I don't know ... we seem to be treating the ring ##M_n (D)## as an algebra over ##D## ... )
Yes. If you consider ##(n \times n)-##matrix multiplication then it is defined with ##n## scalar multiplications in ##n^2## positions - a total of ##n^3## scalar multiplications (*). Therefore it is essential how scalars multiply with each other. Imagine our scalar multiplication was defined by ##a\cdot a=0## for all scalar ##a##. We'd get a pretty different matrix ring. (I didn't write ##a \in D## for it would have suggested ##D## to be a division ring, which can't be with such a definition of multiplication. Therefore I simply wrote "scalar ##a##".)
Question 2
Bresar seems to be assuming that ##d E_{il} \in I ## for all ##1 \le i, l \le n## and for every ##d \in D## implies that ##I = M_n (D)## ...
But ... ... why exactly is this true ...
With ##dE_{il} \in I## we have all scalar multiples in ##I##, esp. ##d^{-1}(dE_{il})=E_{il}## and all of them, i.e. the entire basis or ##M_n(D)=\sum_{ij}a_{ij}E_{ij} \subseteq \sum D\cdot I \subseteq I \subseteq M_n(D)##.
My thoughts ... maybe it is true because the ##E_{il}## generate the ring ##M_n (D)## ... or to put it another way ... any element in ##I## or ##M_n (D)## can be written uniquely in the form ##\sum_{i, j = 1}^n d_{ij} E_{ij}## ...and further, that all the ##E_{ij}## belong to I ...
Yes.

(*) I know it can be done with less than ##n^3## and that the current record holder is est. ##\omega = 2.37_3##.

Likes Math Amateur

What is a simple matrix ring?

A simple matrix ring is a type of mathematical structure that consists of a set of matrices with operations of addition and multiplication defined on them. It is called "simple" because it does not contain any nontrivial two-sided ideals, meaning that it cannot be decomposed into smaller rings.

What are the properties of a simple matrix ring?

Some key properties of a simple matrix ring include being a division ring, meaning that every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse, and having a finite dimension over its base field. It also has a unique maximal ideal, which is equal to the zero ideal.

How is a simple matrix ring different from other types of rings?

A simple matrix ring is different from other types of rings because it does not contain any nontrivial two-sided ideals, whereas other rings may have multiple ideals. It is also a division ring, while other rings may not have a multiplicative inverse for every nonzero element.

What are some examples of simple matrix rings?

Some examples of simple matrix rings include the ring of 2x2 real matrices, the ring of 3x3 complex matrices, and the ring of 4x4 quaternion matrices. These rings all have the property of being finite-dimensional over their respective base fields and do not have any nontrivial two-sided ideals.

How are simple matrix rings used in science?

Simple matrix rings are used in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to represent and manipulate mathematical models and data. They are also used in abstract algebra and group theory to study properties of rings and their applications in other areas of mathematics.