Introductory Algebra Percentage Word Problem

In summary: The problem as given in the book:The price of a dress is marked down 20% on May 1. On May 25th the reduced price is marked down an additional 15% to \$51. (a) What percent of the original price is the final sale price? (b) "What is the original price?All I could think was trying to work the problem this way:(a) 20% + 15% = 35% (total discount percentage)100% - 35% = 65% (percent of the original price for a sale price of \$51)(b) 65%x = \$51x = 51/.65x = \
Larry2527
The problem as given in the book:

The price of a dress is marked down 20% on May 1. On May 25th the reduced price is marked down an additional 15% to \$51. (a) What percent of the original price is the final sale price? (b) "What is the original price?

All I could think was trying to work the problem this way:

(a) 20% + 15% = 35% (total discount percentage)
100% - 35% = 65% (percent of the original price for a sale price of \$51)

(b) 65%x = \$51
x = 51/.65
x = \$78.46 (original price)

The answer given in the back of the book is given as (a) 68% and (b) \$75. Assuming the book's answer is correct, what am I missing?

- - - Updated - - -

Er, it posted all garbled for some reason. I have no idea why. Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Larry2527 said:

The price of a dress is marked down 20% on May 1. On May 25th the reduced price is marked down an additional 15% to \$51. (a) What percent of the original price is the final sale price? (b) "What is the original price?

(b) 65%x = \$51
x = 51/.65

The answer given in the back of the book is given as (a) 68% and (b) \$75. Assuming the book's answer is correct, what am I missing?

Let $P$ be the original price.

first reduction to $0.80P$

second reduction to $0.85(0.80P) = 0.68P = 51 \implies P = 75$

the final price is 68% of $P = 75$

fyi, dollar signs activate the latex math type on this site. if you want to use one without doing so, put a backward slash \ prior to the dollar sign.

Larry2527 said:

There is your mistake! A percentage is always a percent of something (the "base" number). You cannot add these percentages because they are of different bases. The first is 20% of the original price. The second is 15% of that new price.

Let P be the original price. Then after the first mark down, the price is P'= P- 0.20P= 0.80P. After the second markdown, the price is P'- 0.15P'= 0.85P'= 0.85(0.80P)= 0.68P, or 68% of the original price, not 65%.

0.68P= 51 so P= 51/0.68

(b) 65%x = \$51
x = 51/.65

- - - Updated - - -

Er, it posted all garbled for some reason. I have no idea why. Any ideas?

1. What is an introductory algebra percentage word problem?

An introductory algebra percentage word problem is a type of math problem that involves using algebraic equations to solve for a percentage value. These problems typically involve finding the percentage of a whole number or comparing two quantities using percentages.

2. How do I solve an introductory algebra percentage word problem?

To solve an introductory algebra percentage word problem, you first need to identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, you can set up an algebraic equation using the given information and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. What are some common strategies for solving introductory algebra percentage word problems?

Some common strategies for solving introductory algebra percentage word problems include setting up a proportion, using the percent formula, and converting percentages to decimals or fractions. It is also helpful to carefully read and understand the problem, and to use a systematic approach to solving the problem.

4. What are some real-life applications of introductory algebra percentage word problems?

Introductory algebra percentage word problems have many real-life applications, such as calculating sales tax, finding discounts and markups in retail, and determining the amount of a tip or commission. They are also commonly used in business and finance, such as calculating interest rates and loan payments.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving introductory algebra percentage word problems?

To improve your skills in solving introductory algebra percentage word problems, it is important to practice regularly and to seek help when needed. You can also review basic algebraic concepts and formulas, and try to apply them to different types of percentage word problems. Additionally, working with a tutor or joining a study group can provide additional support and practice opportunities.