Introductory Book on Differential Geometry

In summary, the author of this book recommends an introductory book for differential geometry, but warns that it is old-fashioned and requires more mathematical prerequisites than most physics students have.
fys iks!
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an introductory book for differential geometry. I am studying general relativity and need some help with this topic.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Applied Differential Geometry" by William Burke

"Introduction to smooth manifolds", and "Riemannian manifolds: an introduction to curvature" by John M. Lee. These books are great. The only problem is that you need both of them. Everything about connections, geodesics, covariant derivative and curvature is in the second book. It don't think there can be a better place to read about those things than this book.

I like Isham's book too. I think he covers some concepts, in particular the tangent space, even better than Lee. But it's not really an introduction to the differential geometry you need to understand GR. It's an introduction to the differential geometry you need to understand Yang-Mills theory. So he talks a lot about Lie groups and fiber bundles, which you don't need right now, and doesn't say much about geodesics and curvature.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Isham's book was a little to advanced. I was able to find one though to suit my needs. It doesn't look like it is too popular but its called "Introduction To Differential Geometry and Reimannian Geometry By: Erwin Kreyszig"

fys iks! said:
Isham's book was a little to advanced.
I very much doubt that, but as I said, it's going in the wrong direction for you. It's preparing the reader for Yang-Mills theory, not GR.

fys iks! said:
I was able to find one though to suit my needs. It doesn't look like it is too popular but its called "Introduction To Differential Geometry and Reimannian Geometry By: Erwin Kreyszig"
His functional analysis book is very popular, so he seems to know how to write good books. I'm sure it's fine, but it's hard to beat Lee. Hm, there's also a book by a guy named Manfredo Perdigão do Carmo that's getting good reviews at Amazon.

Fredrik said:
I very much doubt that
It does require more mathematical prequisites than most physics students have.
His functional analysis book is very popular, so he seems to know how to write good books. I'm sure it's fine,
His FA book is ok. But if we're talking about https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486667219/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (perhaps an expanded version including Riemannian Geometry?), I have to warn OP: this is pretty old-fashioned! Everything is done in local coordinates, and mostly in three dimensions. Compare this book with something like Lee, and you'll see they are almost disjoint.
but it's hard to beat Lee. Hm, there's also a book by a guy named Manfredo Perdigão do Carmo that's getting good reviews at Amazon.
Lee is pretty good in my opinion, but of course it's not the only one. These all have their merits:

Tu - An Introduction to Manifolds
Spivak - A comprehensive introduction to differential geometry Vol I
Darling - Differential Forms and Connections
Lang - Introduction to Differentiable Manifolds
Conlon - Differentiable Manifolds
Barden, Thomas - An Introduction to Differential Manifolds

Last edited by a moderator:
Landau said:
It does require more mathematical prequisites than most physics students have.
Don't they all? :smile:

Landau said:
I have to warn OP: this is pretty old-fashioned! Everything is done in local coordinates, and mostly in three dimensions.
Ughh...that sucks. I want everything to be as coordinate-independent as possible. I retract my "I'm sure it's fine" comment.

Related to Introductory Book on Differential Geometry

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in multidimensional spaces. It uses tools from calculus and linear algebra to analyze geometric properties such as curvature, length, and angle.

2. Why is differential geometry important?

Differential geometry has a wide range of applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It also provides a deeper understanding of the geometry of our universe and is essential for many advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What are the main concepts in an introductory book on differential geometry?

An introductory book on differential geometry typically covers topics such as curves and surfaces, tangent spaces and vectors, curves and surfaces in space, and the fundamental forms of curves and surfaces. It may also include discussions on the Gauss-Bonnet theorem and Riemannian geometry.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand differential geometry?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is helpful in understanding differential geometry. However, many introductory books on the subject are designed for beginners, assuming little to no prior knowledge beyond high school level mathematics.

5. What are some recommended introductory books on differential geometry?

Some popular introductory books on differential geometry include "Elementary Differential Geometry" by Andrew Pressley, "Differential Geometry: Curves - Surfaces - Manifolds" by Wolfgang Kühnel, and "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo P. do Carmo. It is recommended to choose a book that suits your level and interests.