Intuitive explanation for P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of probability for disjoint sets A and B, and why the probability of A union B is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities. It is explained that this is because the sample space remains the same, but now the numerators are added as the number of events increase. The conversation also touches on the idea of subtracting elements counted more than once in order to get an accurate probability. The concept is further illustrated with examples and the use of Venn diagrams.
physio
Hello,

I am unsure as to why the probability of A U B = P(A) + P(B) for sets A and B being disjoint. Why do we add the two probabilities? Is it because the sample space remains the same but now we add the numerators as the number of events have increased and that is why we are adding the two?? Can anyone give me a good intuitive explanation? I tried solving the problem myself but I cannot figure out how to arrive at the answer. An intuitive explanation will really help. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
physio said:
Hello,

I am unsure as to why the probability of A U B = P(A) + P(B) for sets A and B being disjoint. Why do we add the two probabilities? Is it because the sample space remains the same but now we add the numerators as the number of events have increased and that is why we are adding the two?? Can anyone give me a good intuitive explanation? I tried solving the problem myself but I cannot figure out how to arrive at the answer. An intuitive explanation will really help. Thanks in advance for your answers!

What reason do you have to doubt this? It's difficult to know how to explain this unless you can describe what you see as the probability of two disjoint events? Let's take an example:

The probablity a die comes up odd is 1/2. And the probability it comes up 4 is 1/6. So, the probability it is either odd or 4 is 1/2 + 1/6 = 2/3.

What do you think it should be?

Thank you for your answer. I think I understand now. Please do let me know if my explanation is correct. In your example, we are adding the two events (it is odd and number is 4) and grouping them as a single event and hence it is addition. Moreover, the sample space remains the same i.e. 6 alternatives possible. This also brings me to the conclusion that we have to subtract the element counted more than once. Thanks! Do let me know.

physio said:
Thank you for your answer. I think I understand now. Please do let me know if my explanation is correct. In your example, we are adding the two events (it is odd and number is 4) and grouping them as a single event and hence it is addition. Moreover, the sample space remains the same i.e. 6 alternatives possible. This also brings me to the conclusion that we have to subtract the element counted more than once. Thanks! Do let me know.

As you may know, in general:

##P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B)##

Perhaps the simplest way is to think of events as shapes and the probability as the area of the shape and use Venn diagrams.

In the special case where ##A## and ##B## are disjoint (which means they can't both happen), then ##P(A \cap B) = 0##

I would tend to think of this in terms of simple examples (like coins, dice and cards) and then abstract that inituitive understanding into the abstract notation of sample spaces and events.

@PeroK : Thank you for your explanation. Got me to realize why P(AUB) = P(A) + P(B)!

1. What is the intuitive explanation for the equation P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B)?

The equation P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) represents the probability of either event A or event B occurring, or both events occurring together. This can be thought of as the union of the probabilities of events A and B.

2. How is the formula P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) derived?

The formula is derived from the basic rules of probability. The union of two events A and B is the sum of their individual probabilities, minus the probability of both events occurring together (P(A ∩ B)). Therefore, the equation can be written as P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A ∩ B). However, since P(A ∩ B) is already included in P(A) and P(B), it can be cancelled out, resulting in the simplified equation P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B).

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B)?

Let's say we are rolling a fair six-sided die. Event A is getting an even number (2, 4, or 6) and event B is getting a number greater than 4 (5 or 6). The probability of event A is 3/6 (or 1/2), and the probability of event B is 2/6 (or 1/3). The probability of both events occurring together is 1/6 (rolling a 6). Therefore, P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A ∩ B) = 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/6 = 2/3, which is the probability of either event A or event B occurring.

4. Is the equation P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) applicable to all types of events?

Yes, the equation is applicable to all types of events, as long as they are mutually exclusive (cannot occur at the same time) or independent (the occurrence of one event does not affect the occurrence of the other event).

5. How is the equation P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) related to the concept of probability distribution?

The equation is related to the concept of probability distribution because it shows how the total probability of a set of events (P(A U B)) is divided into the individual probabilities of those events (P(A) and P(B)). This can be extended to more than two events, where the probability of the union of all events is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities.