Inverse trigonometric functions

In summary: When you find a function that hugs the boundary of the domain, you can be pretty sure that it's the function you're looking for.
MartynaJ
Homework Statement
Create one equation of a reciprocal trigonometric function that has the following:
Domain: ##x\neq \frac{5\pi}{6}+\frac{\pi}{3}n##
Range: ##y\le1## or ##y\ge9##
Relevant Equations
See above please...
Create one equation of a reciprocal trigonometric function that has the following:

I think the solution has to be in the form of ##y=4sec( )+5## OR ##y=4csc( )+5##, but I am not sure on what to include in the brackets.
I got the ##4## and the ##5## from the range, since ##5-4=1## and ##5+4=9##. Here I put ##5## as the equation of axis and ##4## as the amplitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume at the prohibited x points with ##\pi/3## distance the function diverge to ##\pm \infty##.
The function is an even function. ##f(2n\pi/3),f((2n+1)\pi/3)##=1 or 9.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I assume at the prohibited x points with ##\pi/3## distance the function diverge to ##\pm \infty##.
The function is an even function. f(0)=1 or 9.
why ##\frac{\pi}{3}## and not ##\frac{5\pi}{6}+\frac{\pi}{3}##?

I took n is any integer and the prohibited points are
[tex]x=... ,-5\pi/6,-\pi/2,-\pi/6,\pi/6,\pi/2,5\pi/6,...[/tex]

anuttarasammyak said:
I took n is any integer and the prohibited points are
x=...,−5π/6,−π/2,−π/6,π/6,π/2,5π/6,...
Ya sorry I now understand how you got these values... But how did you know it is an even function?

Values of ##5\pi/6+n\pi/3## for n=..., -4,-3,-2,-1,0,...

##cosec\ 0=\pm \infty## but f(0) is a definite value.

Now your assumption comes to
[tex]\frac{y-5}{4}=\pm \sec mx[/tex]
Find appropriate m to adjust period.

Last edited:
MartynaJ said:
Homework Statement:: Create one equation of a reciprocal trigonometric function that has the following:
Relevant Equations:: See above please...

I think the solution has to be in the form of ##y=4sec( )+5## OR ##y=4csc( )+5##, but I am not sure on what to include in the brackets.
I got the ##4## and the ##5## from the range, since ##5-4=1## and ##5+4=9##. Here I put ##5## as the equation of axis and ##4## as the amplitude.
Consider ##y = 4 \sec \theta + 5##. It's undefined at the points ##\theta = m\pi + \frac \pi 2##. The function ##f(x)## you want is undefined at points ##x = n \frac \pi 3 + \frac{5 \pi}6##. What you want to do is find how to map the values of ##x## to the values of ##\theta##. Let's take ##m=n## for simplicity. Then you want to find a function ##\theta(x)## that takes ##x = 5\pi/6## to ##\theta = \pi/2##, ##x = 5\pi/6 + \pi/3## to ##\theta=\pi/2 + \pi##, and so on. Every time ##x## increases by ##\pi/3##, you want ##\theta## to increase by ##\pi##.

If you can't see where this is headed, try plotting a few pairs of ##(x,\theta)##.

What are inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that are used to find the angle of a right triangle given the ratio of its sides. They are the inverse operations of the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant).

What is the notation used for inverse trigonometric functions?

The notation used for inverse trigonometric functions is "sin-1" for arcsine, "cos-1" for arccosine, "tan-1" for arctangent, "cot-1" for arccotangent, "sec-1" for arcsecant, and "csc-1" for arccosecant.

What is the domain and range of inverse trigonometric functions?

The domain of inverse trigonometric functions is the set of real numbers, while the range depends on the specific function. The range of arcsine and arccosine is [-π/2, π/2], the range of arctangent and arccotangent is (-π/2, π/2), and the range of arcsecant and arccosecant is [0, π] or [π, 2π] depending on the specific function.

What is the relationship between inverse trigonometric functions and basic trigonometric functions?

The inverse trigonometric functions "undo" the effects of the basic trigonometric functions. For example, if you take the sine of an angle and then take the arcsine of that result, you will get back the original angle. This relationship is often written as sin(arcsin(x)) = x.

How are inverse trigonometric functions used in real life?

Inverse trigonometric functions are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to solve problems involving angles and sides of right triangles, as well as to model and analyze periodic phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.