Investigating Aerofoil Lift: Can Plasticine Be Used? | IB Coursework Project

• Thread starter jiggy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using plasticine as an aerofoil for a project investigating lift on aerofoils with different shapes. While plasticine can be used for small-scale airfoils if molded precisely and with smooth surfaces, it may deform under its own weight if scaled up too much.
jiggy
I am doing a project for my IB coursework investigating lift on aerofoils with different shapes. I was wondering if plasticine can be used as an aerofoil.
I am designing aerofoils of different shapes such as camber , cuboid , sphere , etc. For modelling them , I have used plasticine instead of polystyrene I have done experiments using plasticine and have gotten results. but I am not too sure if plasticine is an accepted aerofoil to do the experiment with. my experiment is pretty low-tech using a very basic wind tunnel

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?!

Provided the airflows through your wind tunnel are mild enough to prevent deformation, and provided you can mold to the plasticine to exact tolerances with very smooth surfaces, it can be used to test small-scale airfoils. It would at some point deform under it's own weight if you scaled it up too far, however.

1. What is Plasticine as an aerofoil?

Plasticine, also known as modeling clay, can be used as a prototype material for designing and testing aerofoils. Aerofoils are shapes that are used in the construction of wings and other aerodynamic surfaces to create lift and reduce drag.

2. How is Plasticine used in aerofoil design?

Plasticine is used as a moldable material that can be shaped into different aerofoil designs. These designs can then be tested in wind tunnels to analyze their aerodynamic properties before being made into more permanent materials.

3. Can Plasticine accurately represent real-world aerofoils?

Plasticine may not be an exact replica of real-world aerofoils, but it can provide a good representation for initial testing and design purposes. Its moldable nature allows for quick and easy changes to be made, making it a useful tool in the design process.

4. Are there any limitations to using Plasticine as an aerofoil?

Plasticine is not a suitable material for actual use in aerofoil construction as it does not have the same structural integrity and durability as other materials. It is mainly used for testing and prototyping purposes.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Plasticine as an aerofoil?

Yes, there are other materials that can be used for aerofoil design and testing such as foam, balsa wood, and 3D printed materials. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific needs and goals of the project.