Investigation into electric guitar pickups

In summary, the speaker is a student in the IB program who is planning to write their extended essay in physics on electric guitar pickups. They intend to create their own model pickup and experiment with different variables such as the number of turns on the coil and the position of the pickup along a string. The topic question they have chosen is how pickup winding and position affect the tone and timbre of the signal. They are concerned about having enough content for a high school level essay and are seeking advice on how to make it more scientific. The respondent agrees that there is plenty of discussion and potential for measurement in this topic, with factors such as magnet material and single coil vs humbucking pickups also playing a role. They also remind the speaker that the
singismund
Hello,

I am currently taking the IB program and have decided to write my EE (extended essay [4,000 words]) in physics. I am going to investigate electric guitar pickups and I need help adding more 'depth' to the essay.

Currently, I plan to create my own model pickup by winding a coil of enamel coated copper wire around a magnet, and seeing how it picks up sound from a vibrating string. I will be changing the amount of turns on the coil, as well as the cross sectional area of the coil to see how it affects the induced current. I also plan to experiment with how the position of the pickup along a string (on a sonometer, that is) affects the output.

The topic question i have so far, is: How does pickup winding and pickup position along a string affect the tone and timbre of the signal? I am worried that there won't be enough to write about on a high school level. I plan to analyze the tone by looking at different frequency levels and harmonics in the signal, but I feel I need more physics in this physics essay, if that makes sense. Is this a good topic? What do you think i could expand on, or analyze more to create a better, and more scientific essay?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It' a subject that gets much discussion on guitar groups so there is plenty to measure and talk about. All those things you have mentioned will make a difference to the tone and output of the pickup. Even the magnet material of the coil may have some effect. There are also single coil and humbucking pickups to consider.

Cheers

Yes, remember your coil must be constructed by winding it around a magnet.
If there is no magnetic field present then the coil won't produce any output at all.

What is the purpose of an investigation into electric guitar pickups?

The purpose of an investigation into electric guitar pickups is to understand the principles and mechanics behind these electronic devices that capture the vibrations of guitar strings and convert them into electrical signals. This knowledge can then be used to improve the design and functionality of existing pickups, as well as develop new and innovative ones.

How do electric guitar pickups work?

Electric guitar pickups work by using a magnet and a coil of wire to create an electromagnetic field. When the guitar strings vibrate, they disturb the magnetic field, which induces an electrical current in the coil. This current is then sent to an amplifier, where it is converted into sound.

What factors affect the performance of electric guitar pickups?

The performance of electric guitar pickups can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and strength of the magnet used, the number of turns in the coil, the distance between the pickup and the strings, and the type of wire used in the coil. Additionally, the material and construction of the guitar itself can also impact the pickup's performance.

What are the different types of electric guitar pickups?

There are several different types of electric guitar pickups, including single-coil, humbucker, and P90 pickups. Single-coil pickups use one coil of wire and produce a bright and clear sound, while humbucker pickups use two coils and produce a thicker, warmer sound. P90 pickups are a combination of the two, with a single-coil design but a wider and more powerful sound.

How can an investigation into electric guitar pickups benefit the music industry?

An investigation into electric guitar pickups can benefit the music industry by leading to the development of more advanced and high-quality pickups, which can enhance the sound and versatility of electric guitars. It can also provide musicians and manufacturers with a better understanding of how pickups work and how to optimize their performance, leading to improved products and a more diverse range of options for musicians.