Iodine Clock Kinetics: Which Mechanism is Supported?

In summary, the experiment performed involved varying the composition of reactant solutions and measuring resulting rates of reaction. Based on the data, the rate law was determined to be R = [I-][S2O82-], which supports Mechanism 2: I-(aq) + S2O82-(aq) ---> [S2O82-·I]3-(aq) (slow) followed by [S2O82-·I]3-(aq) + I-(aq) ---> I2(aq) + 2 SO42-(aq) (fast). Mechanism 3: I-(aq) + S2O82-(aq) <---> [S2O82-·I]3-(aq
cvc121
1. Homework Statement
An iodine clock kinetics experiment was performed by varying the composition of reactant solutions and measuring resulting rates of reaction (based on the data given, I have determined the rate law to be R = [I-]1[S2O82-]1). Which of these four proposed mechanisms below would be supported by these results?

Mechanism 1: I-(aq) + I-(aq) ---> I22-(aq) (slow)
I22-(aq) + S2O82-(aq) ---> I2(aq) + SO42-(aq) (fast)

Mechanism 2: I-(aq) + S2O82-(aq) ---> [S2O82-·I]3-(aq) (slow)
[S2O82-·I]3-(aq) + I-(aq) ---> I2(aq) + 2 SO42-(aq) (fast)

Mechanism 3: I-(aq) + S2O82-(aq) <---> [S2O82-·I]3-(aq) (fast)
[S2O82-·I]3-(aq) + I-(aq) ---> I2(aq) + 2 SO42-(aq) (fast)

Mechanism 4: 2I-(aq) + S2O82-(aq) ---> I2(aq) + 2SO42-(aq)

2. Homework Equations
Rate law: R = k[A]xy

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Mechanism 1: R = [I-]2. Therefore, this is incorrect.

Mechanism 2: R = [I-][S2O82-] Therefore, this is correct.

Mechanism 3: R = [[S2O82-·I]3-][I-]. Therefore, this is incorrect.

Mechanism 4: R = [I-]2[S2O82-]. Therefore, this is incorrect.

Answer: Mechanism 2

Can anyone confirm if I am on the right track? Thanks. All help is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pardon me for the incorrect rate law equation that I listed.

Yes I'd say you are on the right track. I agree mechanism (2) is consistent with the kinetics.

However have another look at mechanism 3, which after all is only quantitavely different from 2. You have to work out the rate expression as a function of your experimental variables (which your other three are) not of intermediates. You may find the answer is more nuanced. :oldwink:

Last edited:

1. What is the Iodine Clock Reaction?

The Iodine Clock Reaction is a chemical reaction that involves the oxidation of iodide ions by hydrogen peroxide in the presence of an acid and starch indicator. The reaction proceeds at a slow rate and then suddenly speeds up, resulting in the formation of a dark blue product.

2. What is the significance of the Iodine Clock Reaction in kinetics?

The Iodine Clock Reaction is commonly used in chemical kinetics experiments to study the rate of reaction. It is also used to determine the effects of temperature, concentration, and catalysts on reaction rates and to determine the order of the reaction.

3. What are the possible mechanisms that can support the Iodine Clock Reaction?

There are two main mechanisms that can support the Iodine Clock Reaction: the "iodide-iodate" mechanism and the "iodate-iodide" mechanism. The former involves the reaction between iodide and iodate ions, while the latter involves the reaction between iodate and iodide ions.

4. How can the Iodine Clock Reaction be used to determine the rate constant for a reaction?

The Iodine Clock Reaction can be used to determine the rate constant for a reaction by varying the initial concentrations of the reactants and measuring the time it takes for the reaction to reach completion. From this data, the reaction rate can be calculated and used to determine the rate constant.

5. What factors can affect the rate of the Iodine Clock Reaction?

The rate of the Iodine Clock Reaction can be affected by several factors, such as temperature, concentration of reactants, pH, and the presence of a catalyst. Increasing the temperature and concentration of reactants generally increases the reaction rate, while a higher pH and the presence of a catalyst can speed up the reaction as well.