How Does Thermal Energy Compare to Ionization Energy in a Flame?

In summary: You're comparing ##RT## with ##4RT##? I think you misunderstood the statement of the problem. First, it says that ##E_\mathrm{thermal} \approx RT##, then that ##E_\mathrm{thermal}## is at most ##4RT## (the energy follows a distribution, it is not a fixed value). So how does that compare to the ionization energy?
physicsnobrain

Homework Statement

The energy of particles in a flame at a temperature T might be described by a
Boltzmann distribution. Temperature can be converted to energy (and thereby velocity)
using the gas constant R = 8.3145 J mol-1 K-1. Let us approximate thermal energy in the
flame by RT (squiggly lines mean approximately) where T is in degree Kelvin:
thermal energy ≈ RT
The first ionization energy for Li is 5.20 x 10 2 kJ/mol and the second ionization energy
is 7.29 x 103 kJ/mol. Assume that your Bunsen burner reached 869 ºC, and that nearly all
of Li atoms heated in your Bunsen burner had energies less than 4 x RT. Would you or
would you not expect significant ionization in the flame? Explain.

The Attempt at a Solution

The ionization energy for Li is the opposite of the ionization energy of the flame. The second Li ionization is fairly high, and as a result, I would expect that the ionization energy of the flame is not very significant because the Li ionization is high. Lithium is high on the list of reactive elements, they increase in reactivity going down, example, francium is much more reactive than lithium, I would expect a much larger ionization of flame from franciums ionization compared to lithium.
Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsnobrain said:
The ionization energy for Li is the opposite of the ionization energy of the flame.
What does "ionization energy of the flame" mean?

physicsnobrain said:
Lithium is high on the list of reactive elements, they increase in reactivity going down, example, francium is much more reactive than lithium, I would expect a much larger ionization of flame from franciums ionization compared to lithium.
I don't understand what this has to do with the problem. You only have to consider lithium in the flame. Is it significantly ionized or not?

DrClaude said:
What does "ionization energy of the flame" mean?

I don't understand what this has to do with the problem. You only have to consider lithium in the flame. Is it significantly ionized or not?

no it is not significantly ionized. I said that.

physicsnobrain said:
no it is not significantly ionized. I said that.
But based on what? I would like to see some calculations...

DrClaude said:
But based on what? I would like to see some calculations...

well obviously R x T is wayyyyyyyyy less than 4(R)(T)

That is why

physicsnobrain said:
well obviously R x T is wayyyyyyyyy less than 4(R)(T)
You're comparing ##RT## with ##4RT##? I think you misunderstood the statement of the problem. First, it says that ##E_\mathrm{thermal} \approx RT##, then that ##E_\mathrm{thermal}## is at most ##4RT## (the energy follows a distribution, it is not a fixed value). So how does that compare to the ionization energy?

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of an ion.

2. How is ionization energy measured?

Ionization energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV). It can be experimentally determined using various techniques such as spectroscopy or mass spectrometry.

3. What factors affect the ionization energy of an atom?

The ionization energy of an atom is affected by the nuclear charge, the distance between the electron and the nucleus, and the electron configuration of the atom. Generally, as the nuclear charge increases and the distance between the electron and the nucleus decreases, the ionization energy will also increase.

4. Why do elements with higher atomic numbers have higher ionization energies?

As the atomic number increases, the number of protons in the nucleus also increases. This leads to a stronger positive charge in the nucleus, making it more difficult to remove an electron from the atom and resulting in a higher ionization energy.

5. How does ionization energy relate to the reactivity of elements?

Elements with low ionization energies, such as those in Group 1 of the periodic table, tend to be highly reactive because it is easier to remove an electron and form positive ions. In contrast, elements with high ionization energies, such as those in Group 18, are less reactive because it is more difficult to remove an electron and form ions.