IR Seeking Guidance for a Missle Project

JBIn summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating an IR guided rocket for an engineering project. The main question raised is why and how laser guided missiles do not track the sun. The discussion also touches on the difference between laser guidance and IR/heat-seeking guidance and the use of AC signals to amplify the reflected signal. Various resources and links are provided for further information on the topic.
Tracey3
So I am starting brainstorming on my engineering project. I am quite set on creating IR guided rocket :biggrin: I am not very knowledgeable yet with wavelengths and optical sensors and there is one question that bothers me.

How and why laser guided missiles don't track the sun? Also if anyone has any schematics on how its done, It would be appreciated as I unfortunately don't have an AGM-65 Maverick lying around the house to dismantle :frown:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tracey3 said:
So I am starting brainstorming on my engineering project. I am quite set on creating IR guided rocket :biggrin: I am not very knowledgeable yet with wavelengths and optical sensors and there is one question that bothers me.

How and why laser guided missiles don't track the sun? Also if anyone has any schematics on how its done, It would be appreciated as I unfortunately don't have an AGM-65 Maverick lying around the house to dismantle :frown:
Fun project! There is a difference between laser guidance (as in your title) and IR/heat-seeking guidance (what you ask about in your post). Can you say what the difference is, and which you are asking about? I can adjust your thread title if needed. :smile:

berkeman said:
Fun project! There is a difference between laser guidance (as in your title) and IR/heat-seeking guidance (what you ask about in your post). Can you say what the difference is, and which you are asking about? I can adjust your thread title if needed. :smile:

My bad for being unclear, I am referring to IR seeking which would seek out IR light emission rather than one that would follow a guidance beam. If you wouldn't mind adjusting the title I would appreciate it.

Likes berkeman
Tracey3 said:
How and why laser guided missiles don't track the sun?

The target is designated by someone/something pointing a laser at it and the missile homes in on the reflected signal. The reflected signal is quite weak so it has to be amplified. It's quite hard making a high gain DC amplifier so the laser is modulated to produce an AC signal. That makes it easier to amplify the reflected signal and easier to filter out the sun which is essentially DC.

I imagine that if each target designator used a slightly different AC signal (or data was encoded in it) you could designate and launch multiple laser guided missiles at the same time and they wouldn't get confused as to which target they should hit.

Edit: Using AC is a common instrumentation trick.

CWatters said:
The target is designated by someone/something pointing a laser at it and the missile homes in on the reflected signal. The reflected signal is quite weak so it has to be amplified. It's quite hard making a high gain DC amplifier so the laser is modulated to produce an AC signal. That makes it easier to amplify the reflected signal and easier to filter out the sun which is essentially DC.

I imagine that if each target designator used a slightly different AC signal (or data was encoded in it) you could designate and launch multiple laser guided missiles at the same time and they wouldn't get confused as to which target they should hit.

Edit: Using AC is a common instrumentation trick.
that is laser guided, not IR heat seeking that the OP is wanting to know about :wink:

check out Berkeman's links for good infoDave

1. What is the purpose of the missile project?

The purpose of the missile project is to develop a weapon system that can accurately and efficiently hit a target from a distance. This can be used for military purposes, such as defense or offense, or for scientific research.

2. What technologies will be used in the missile?

The technologies used in the missile will vary depending on its specific design and purpose. However, some common technologies used in missiles include guidance systems, propulsion systems, and warhead designs.

3. How accurate will the missile be?

The accuracy of the missile will depend on several factors, including its design, guidance system, and target distance. Most modern missiles have a high level of accuracy, with some capable of hitting targets within a few meters of their intended location.

4. What safety measures will be implemented in the missile?

Safety is a crucial consideration in the development of any weapon system. The missile project will adhere to strict safety protocols and undergo rigorous testing to ensure the safety of those handling and operating it. Additionally, the missile may have built-in safety features, such as self-destruct mechanisms, to prevent any potential accidents.

5. How long will it take to complete the missile project?

The timeline for completing the missile project will depend on various factors, such as funding, resources, and unforeseen challenges. It is difficult to provide an exact timeline, but the project will be completed as efficiently and accurately as possible to ensure its effectiveness and safety.