Irrational inequalities √f(x)>g(x) and √f(x)>g(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of the inequality √f(x)<g(x) and f(x)≥0 ∧ g(x)> 0 ∧ f(x)<(g(x))^2, and the confusion surrounding the requirement for g(x) to be greater than 0. The conclusion is that g(x) must be greater than 0 for the inequality to hold, but it is not necessary to write g(x)>0 for √f(x)<g(x) and g≥0 for √f(x)>g(x). Additionally, the conditions can change when using ≤ and ≥ instead of < and >, and there are some missing quantifiers in the expressions.
Danijel
So, I know that the inequality √f(x)<g(x) is equivalent to f(x)≥0 ∧ g(x)> 0 ∧ f(x)<(g(x))^2. However, why does g(x) have to be greater and not greater or equal to zero? Is it because for some x, f(x) = g(x)=0, and then > wouldn't hold? Doesn't f(x)<(g(x))^2 make sure that f(x) will not be equal to g(x)?
If that is so, then how is now √f(x) < g(x) equivalent to f(x)≥0 ∧ g(x)≥0 ∧ f(x)>(g(x))^2, where g(x) can now be equal to zero?
Also, what happens to the conditions when √f(x)≤g(x) or √f(x)≥g(x)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are some quantifiers missing, like "for all real x".
Danijel said:
Doesn't f(x)<(g(x))^2 make sure that f(x) will not be equal to g(x)?
It does. That doesn't make the requirement g(x)> 0 wrong, it just makes it unnecessary.
Danijel said:
where g(x) can now be equal to zero?
It cannot be equal to zero.
Danijel said:
Also, what happens to the conditions when √f(x)≤g(x) or √f(x)≥g(x)?
What do you think?

mfb said:
There are some quantifiers missing, like "for all real x".It does. That doesn't make the requirement g(x)> 0 wrong, it just makes it unnecessary.It cannot be equal to zero.What do you think?
Does that mean that √f(x) < g(x) is not equivalent to f(x)≥0 ∧ g(x)≥0 ∧ f(x)>(g(x))^2, but to f(x)≥0 ∧ g(x)>0 ∧ f(x)>(g(x))^2, or both, since f(x)>(g(x))^2 implies that g(x) cannot be equal to zero, so it is the same thing? I don't understand then why would anybody write g>0 for √f(x)<g(x) and and g≥0 for √f(x)>g(x), if g≥0 or g>0 can be written in both. It is confusing.
For your question, I think that everything stays the same, except the part f(x)≤(g(x))^2, where < is now ≤.
Thank you for your reply.

mfb said:
There are some quantifiers missing, like "for all real x".It does. That doesn't make the requirement g(x)> 0 wrong, it just makes it unnecessary.It cannot be equal to zero.What do you think?
Also, if √f(x)> g(x), and if f(x)≥0 and g(x)>0 and f(x) > (g(x))^2 then f(x) can = 0 , but 0 is not greater than any g(x) > 0, so f(x) should be strictly greater than zero.

I meant that √f(x) > g(x) is equivalent to f(x)≥0 ∧ g(x)≥0 ∧ f(x)>(g(x))^2. Sorry.

Danijel said:
Does that mean that √f(x) < g(x) is not equivalent to f(x)≥0 ∧ g(x)≥0 ∧ f(x)>(g(x))^2, but to f(x)≥0 ∧ g(x)>0 ∧ f(x)>(g(x))^2, or both, since f(x)>(g(x))^2 implies that g(x) cannot be equal to zero, so it is the same thing?
The two are the same thing, right. The second one makes it easier to see that g(x) cannot be zero.
Danijel said:
and and g≥0 for √f(x)>g(x)
Careful, this is a completely different expression.
Danijel said:
Also, if √f(x)> g(x), and if f(x)≥0 and g(x)>0 and f(x) > (g(x))^2 then f(x) can = 0 , but 0 is not greater than any g(x) > 0, so f(x) should be strictly greater than zero.
You used a wrong conclusion to derive another wrong conclusion. If you have √f(x)>g(x), why should g(x) be larger than 0? What is wrong with negative g(x)?

mfb said:
The two are the same thing, right. The second one makes it easier to see that g(x) cannot be zero.Careful, this is a completely different expression.You used a wrong conclusion to derive another wrong conclusion. If you have √f(x)>g(x), why should g(x) be larger than 0? What is wrong with negative g(x)?
I used wrong to derive wrong, intending to show that the former had to be wrong. That is, I tried to find a contradiction.

mfb said:
The two are the same thing, right. The second one makes it easier to see that g(x) cannot be zero.Careful, this is a completely different expression.You used a wrong conclusion to derive another wrong conclusion. If you have √f(x)>g(x), why should g(x) be larger than 0? What is wrong with negative g(x)?
There is nothing wrong, sorry. I overlooked it.

1. What are irrational inequalities?

Irrational inequalities are mathematical expressions that involve irrational numbers, such as square roots or pi. These inequalities typically involve comparing two expressions, such as √f(x) and g(x), and determining which one is larger or smaller.

2. How do I solve irrational inequalities?

To solve irrational inequalities, you first need to isolate the irrational expressions on one side of the inequality and the rational expressions on the other side. Then, you can square both sides of the inequality to eliminate the square root. Finally, you can solve for the variable using basic algebraic principles.

3. Are there any special rules for solving irrational inequalities?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving irrational inequalities. First, you must be careful when squaring both sides of the inequality, as this can sometimes introduce extraneous solutions. Additionally, you must always check your solutions to ensure they are valid in the original inequality.

4. Can irrational inequalities have more than one solution?

Yes, irrational inequalities can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often many values of the variable that satisfy the inequality. It is important to check all potential solutions to ensure you have found all valid solutions.

5. How are irrational inequalities used in real life?

Irrational inequalities have many practical applications in real life, such as in finance, engineering, and science. They can be used to model and solve problems involving growth rates, optimization, and geometric relationships. They are also commonly used in statistics and data analysis to compare data sets and make predictions.