Irrational numbers and Planck's constant

In summary, the question posed is whether there is any physical significance in computing irrational numbers to a high number of decimal places, specifically beyond the vicinity of the Planck constant. While pi is a common source of pseudo-random numbers and can be found in unexpected places, such as in Buffon's needle problem, there are also many cases where abstract mathematics is studied without a known physical application. Ultimately, the purpose of computing irrational numbers to a high degree of precision depends on the specific problem at hand.
DiracPool
[Mentor's note: this was originally posted in the Quantum Physics forum, so that is what "this section" means below.]

----------------------------------------------------

I wasn't sure whether to post this question in this section or the general math section, so I just decided to do it here..

The question is, does it make sense to give any credulity to numbers that run on for more than 34 decimal places? I've thought about this for a while but that "Mile of Pi" video from numberphile that was just posted recently I think catalyzed this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/one-mile-of-pi.804514/#post-5050728

If we can't really talk about space less to the plank length (10^-35) and time less to the plank time (10^-43), then what does it really mean to compute Pi to one million decimal places?

So, in summary, does computing any irrational number to more than to the vicinity of the Planck constant have any physical meaning at all? What's the purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
So, in summary, does computing any irrational number to more than to the vicinity of the Planck constant have any physical meaning at all? What's the purpose?

Depends on the application - pi turns up in all sorts of strange places having nothing to do with a circle eg Buffons needle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffon's_needle

Thanks
Bill

Pi is a fine source of pseudo-random numbers.

Likes bhobba
It seems to me that there's lots of abstract mathematics that doesn't have a physical significance that we know of. That's never prevented mathematicians from being interested in such things. :biggrin:

That is a interesting question. From my point of view when your solving a physics problem I think it is only to what is reasonable to solve the problem. I was doing a problem in physics which required a answer from a geometry problem and some trigonometry for a electromagnetic wave. I guess it depends on the problem.

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, meaning it has an infinite number of decimal places and does not terminate or repeat.

2. How do you calculate irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers cannot be calculated exactly, but they can be approximated using methods such as long division or the decimal expansion method.

3. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant is a physical constant that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is denoted by the symbol h and has a value of approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds.

4. Why is Planck's constant important?

Planck's constant is important because it is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale. It is used in equations to calculate the energy and momentum of particles, and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles.

5. How was Planck's constant discovered?

Planck's constant was discovered by German physicist Max Planck in 1900 while studying the radiation emitted by hot objects. He noticed that the energy of the radiation was not continuous, but instead came in discrete packets or "quanta". This led him to introduce the concept of Planck's constant, which is now a cornerstone of modern physics.