Irreducibles and Primes in Integral Domains ....

In summary, the conversation is about understanding Example 1.4.1 in the book "Introductory Algebraic Number Theory" by Saban Alaca and Kenneth S. Williams, specifically the statement that 2 being irreducible in the ring \mathbb{Z} + \mathbb{Z} \sqrt{ -5 } implies that \alpha \sim 1 or \alpha \sim 2. The conversation also includes a note on Alaca and Williams' definition of associates in an integral domain.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introductory Algebraic Number Theory"by Saban Alaca and Kenneth S. Williams ... and am currently focused on Chapter 1: Integral Domains ...

I need some help with understanding Example 1.4.1 ...

Example 1.4.1 reads as follows:View attachment 6516
In the above text by Alaca and Williams we read the following:

"... ... From the first of these, as \(\displaystyle 2\) is irreducible in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} + \mathbb{Z} \sqrt{ -5 }\), it must be the case that \(\displaystyle \alpha \sim 1\) or \(\displaystyle \alpha \sim 2\). ... ...
My question is as follows ... how does \(\displaystyle 2\) being irreducible imply that \(\displaystyle \alpha \sim 1\) or \(\displaystyle \alpha \sim 2\). ... ...?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter============================================================================NOTEThe notation \(\displaystyle \alpha \sim 1\) is Alaca and Williams notation for \(\displaystyle \alpha\) and \(\displaystyle 1\) being associates ...

Alaca's and Williams' definition of and properties of associates in an integral domain are as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6517

Physics news on Phys.org
The meaning of an element of a ring being irreducible is, that it cannot be expressed as a product of two distinct elements in the ring upto units barring itself and unity, upto equivalence, i.e., its associates. Thus, since $2$ is irreducible in the ring $\mathbb{Z}+\mathbb{Z}\sqrt{5}$, therefore the only two elements which can divide $2$ in the ring are, $2$ and $1$, upto equivalence, which implies $\alpha\sim1$ or $\alpha\sim2$.

vidyarth said:
The meaning of an element of a ring being irreducible is, that it cannot be expressed as a product of two distinct elements in the ring upto units barring itself and unity, upto equivalence, i.e., its associates. Thus, since $2$ is irreducible in the ring $\mathbb{Z}+\mathbb{Z}\sqrt{5}$, therefore the only two elements which can divide $2$ in the ring are, $2$ and $1$, upto equivalence, which implies $\alpha\sim1$ or $\alpha\sim2$.
Thanks vidyarth ... I appreciate your help ...

Peter

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, along with two operations (usually addition and multiplication), that satisfy a set of axioms. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and distributivity.

2. What are irreducible elements in an integral domain?

Irreducible elements in an integral domain are non-zero elements that cannot be factored into smaller elements, except for multiplication by units. In other words, they are elements that cannot be broken down into simpler components.

3. How are irreducible elements different from prime elements?

Irreducible elements and prime elements are similar in that they both cannot be factored into smaller elements. However, prime elements have an additional property of being able to divide the product of two elements only if it divides one of the elements. This property is known as primality.

4. What is the relationship between irreducible elements and prime elements in an integral domain?

In an integral domain, every prime element is also an irreducible element. However, not every irreducible element is a prime element. This means that all prime elements are irreducible, but there may be irreducible elements that are not prime.

5. How are irreducible and prime elements used in number theory?

In number theory, irreducible and prime elements play a crucial role in studying the properties of integers. They are used to define fundamental concepts such as the greatest common divisor and the least common multiple, as well as to prove important theorems such as the unique factorization theorem.