Irregular tetrahedron (coordinate of vertices)

• Thread starter Sebtimos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tetrahedron
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the coordinates of an irregular tetrahedron in 3D space. The coordinates of one vertex and the angles between its faces are known, while the coordinates of the other three vertices are known only on two axes. The problem is approached by developing a system of equations using cosines and the volume of the tetrahedron. However, this results in quartic equations which may not have a simple solution. The idea of the vertices being on the surface of a sphere is also discussed, but it is not clear if it will simplify the problem.
Sebtimos
This is my first post and I wish to get help in finding an analytically way to get the coordinate of an irregular tetrahedron.

let ABCD be the 4 vertices of the tetrahedron in 3D, all vertices have different (x,y,z).

the coordinate of vertex D is known (Xd,Yd,Zd), and the 3 angle between faces at vertex D are also known angle adb , adc, cdb.

Coordinate of the other 3 vertices A, B, C are known on X, Y but not on Z. (ie Za,Zb,Zc are unknown).

As I can expect this system will give me 2 solutions +&-.
I've started by developing system of equation for the sides using cosines and as a function of Za,Zb,Zc, where (Zb-Za)^2= [Lda^2+Ldb^2-2Lda*Ldb*cos(adb)]-[(xb-xa)^2+(Yb-Ya)^2]

Any suggestions on how to approach this problem would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lda = √((Xd-Xa)2+ etc.) etc.
So you can get three equations involving Za, Zb, Zc. For each pair of unknowns, Z1, Z2, you get an equation of the form
(quadratic in Z1, Z2) = √(quadratic in Z1)√(quadratic in Z2)
Squaring those gives you three quartics. If lucky, there may be some useful cancellation.
There may be a better way, but I doubt it.

The vertices should all be on the surface of a sphere. I don't know if that makes the problem easier, just a thought.

coolul007 said:
The vertices should all be on the surface of a sphere.
Why? We're told it is irregular (or, at, least, not necessarily regular).

Thank you for the contribution,
coolul007: unfortunately its not the case in irregular tetrahedron.

haruspex: It looks like I must go through these equations and see what i get, they look very ugly though.
do you think adding another equation using the volume of the tetrahedron, which is 1/6 of the volume of parallelepiped, with α, β, and γ are the internal angles between the edges, the volume is equations are given by ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelepiped )
V=1/6 [Lad.Lbd.Lcd * √(1+2cos(α) cos(β) cos(γ)-cos(α)^2-cos(β)^2-cos(γ)^2)]

it is also equivalent to the absolute value of the determinant of a three dimensional matrix built using a, b and c:
V=1/6 [a.(b*c)]

thanks for the help

My experience of 3D trig is that quartics are par for the course. Working with volumes is likely to make matters worse, introducing 6th powers.

I hope I am not riding a dead horse here, but it seems that the bottm triangle is on a sphere and all that is left is the vertex to intersect with a sphere. I haven't tried finding it yet but it seems there has to be one.

coolul007 said:
I hope I am not riding a dead horse here, but it seems that the bottm triangle is on a sphere and all that is left is the vertex to intersect with a sphere. I haven't tried finding it yet but it seems there has to be one.
Sorry, you're right. Just as every triangle defines a circle through its vertices, so there is a unique sphere through the vertices of a tetrahedron, regular or not.
However, I don't see that it helps.

Yes, coolul007 is correct, that would have helped a lot if the center of the sphere can be defined.

What is an irregular tetrahedron?

An irregular tetrahedron is a three-dimensional shape with four triangular faces, each of which has a different size and shape. Unlike a regular tetrahedron, which has four equilateral triangular faces, an irregular tetrahedron has varying angles and side lengths.

How do you determine the coordinates of the vertices of an irregular tetrahedron?

The coordinates of the vertices of an irregular tetrahedron can be determined by using a coordinate system and measuring the distance from the origin to each vertex in the x, y, and z directions. Alternatively, if the lengths of the four edges and the angles between them are known, trigonometric equations can be used to calculate the coordinates.

What is the difference between an irregular tetrahedron and a regular tetrahedron?

The main difference between an irregular tetrahedron and a regular tetrahedron is that a regular tetrahedron has four identical equilateral triangular faces, while an irregular tetrahedron has four different faces with varying angles and side lengths. Additionally, the vertices of a regular tetrahedron are all the same distance from the center, while the vertices of an irregular tetrahedron are not.

What are some real-life examples of irregular tetrahedrons?

Irregular tetrahedrons can be found in many natural and man-made structures. Some examples include the pyramids of Egypt, certain crystal structures, and many architectural designs such as the Louvre Pyramid in Paris. They can also be seen in molecular structures, such as the methane molecule, which has an irregular tetrahedral shape.

Why are irregular tetrahedrons important in science?

Irregular tetrahedrons are important in science because they are commonly found in nature and man-made structures, and understanding their properties and coordinates can help scientists in fields such as architecture, chemistry, and crystallography. They also serve as a basis for more complex shapes and structures, making them a fundamental shape in mathematics and geometry.