Is a 12V Tri-state Buffer Available for Programming PIC Microcontrollers?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to select and program a specific PIC microcontroller from a hub with multiple circuits. They want to output a 12V programming voltage, but are having trouble finding a tri-state buffer that can handle this voltage and be controlled by 3.3V inputs. They have found a similar chip, but it also requires a high input voltage for a high output voltage. Suggestions are made for alternative options, such as open collector control and using a CD4049 or CD4050 driver. A CMOS level shifter is also suggested as a possible solution.
Antonio Serrano
Hello,

I'm trying to build a hub to connect several circuits that have a PIC microcontroller and be able to select one of them and download the program to it. The circuit that I have in mind to select and program one PIC microcontroller is this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx4OvUVy2qxlUmpHcTVqc05STFU/view?usp=sharing

@PIC is the address in the bus of the PIC to program, select actually puts a different value than Hi-Z in the final output for the PIC selected with @PIC, and RS_/PG is to select if we want to program the PIC (the output must have the programming voltage) or to reset the PIC (0 in the output).

My problem is, the output (Vpp) high-level must be the programming voltage, that is Vdd + 4V minimum (I'm using Vdd=3.3V so Vpp must be minimum 7.3 and max 12.5). I want to output there 12V. The other day I was searching the internet for Tri-state buffers that could output 12V and I swear I found some, but now I've been searching for them for hours in the Internet and I don't find them any more.
Anyone knows if that component really exists (12V Tri-state buffer, for example four gates in one chip) or I dreamed about that? And in case there's not such a thing, how do you think guys that I could implement this circuit?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the fast reply.
Unfortunately, this doesn't fit my application. I need a chip that offers DIP package. And also I intend to put 3.3V in the inputs of the tri-state buffers (either in the value input and in the contro input). In the MC14503B, if you want 12V in the output, I think you have to put at least 11.5 or so V in the input.
I've found a similar one, the MM54C941, but has the same problem, if I want output at high voltage, the input must be high voltage as well.
Thanks for the info.

I think you should consider open collector control rather than tristate.
Also consider a CD4049 or CD4050 as the driver. It has adjustable output voltage and logic level input.

1. What is a 0V-12V Tri-state output?

A 0V-12V Tri-state output is a type of output signal that can have three different states: high, low, or high impedance. This means that the output can be either at a voltage of 0V (low), 12V (high), or disconnected (high impedance).

2. How is a 0V-12V Tri-state output different from a regular digital output?

A regular digital output typically has only two states: high or low. A 0V-12V Tri-state output adds a third state, high impedance, which allows for more flexibility in controlling electronic circuits.

3. What are the applications of a 0V-12V Tri-state output?

A 0V-12V Tri-state output is commonly used in electronic devices that require precise control over electronic signals, such as in microcontrollers, digital logic circuits, and communication systems. It can also be used for bus communication between multiple devices.

4. How does a 0V-12V Tri-state output work?

A 0V-12V Tri-state output works by using a control signal to switch between the three different states. When the control signal is high, the output is at 12V, when it is low, the output is at 0V, and when it is in high impedance state, the output is disconnected.

5. What are the advantages of using a 0V-12V Tri-state output?

The main advantage of using a 0V-12V Tri-state output is its flexibility and versatility in controlling electronic circuits. It allows for precise control over electronic signals, and the high impedance state can prevent interference or damage to other devices connected to the output. It also reduces the number of pins or connections needed for communication between devices.