Is a diffeomorphism if the inverse function

In summary, the function f given by f:R+ x R x R -> R3 is a diffeomorphism. The inverse function, f^{-1}, can be found and is differentiable. It is a local diffeomorphism in a point p if it can be found a range A around p such that the function f verifies f:A -> f(A) for all A in the range.
atomqwerty
I've read that a function f given by [tex]f:U\rightarrow V[/tex] is a diffeomorphism if the inverse function [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] exists and is differentiable. I've also read that that function is a local diffeomorphism in a given point [tex]p\inU[/tex] if it can be found a range A around p such that the function f verifies f:A -> f(A)
I'm really in troubles with all those definitions. I've to do an exercise in which I've been asked to say if a given function is a diffeomorphism, and my question is: how do I know if a function has the inverse f^{-1}?

thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm a bit confused. Are you just asking how to determine if f(x) is invertible? You just need to check that it is both 1-1 and onto. There's nothing topological about that part. Or are you wondering how you prove that the inverse function is differentiable?

It might help if you post some specific functions that you're looking at

Office_Shredder said:
I'm a bit confused. Are you just asking how to determine if f(x) is invertible? You just need to check that it is both 1-1 and onto. There's nothing topological about that part. Or are you wondering how you prove that the inverse function is differentiable?

It might help if you post some specific functions that you're looking at

The question is mainly how to determine where (in which points) a function f is a local diffeomorphism, that I think leads us to determine when the funtion is a diffeomorfism near of that point p.

Thank you!

The general strategy is to calculate the differential and determine if it's an invertible linear transformation. The points at which it is are where f is locally a diffeomorphism. If you have a specific example you want to look at we can do that

Office_Shredder said:
The general strategy is to calculate the differential and determine if it's an invertible linear transformation. The points at which it is are where f is locally a diffeomorphism. If you have a specific example you want to look at we can do that

Sure, I quote you an example of spherical coordinates,

Let be the function

f:R+ x R x R -> R3
{r,phi,theta} -> {rcos(phi)sin(theta),rsin(phi)sin(theta),rcos(theta)}

Demonstrate that f is differentiable. Calculate de Jacobian matrix and determine in which points is a local diffeomorphism. Calculate the range of R+ x R x R in which the function is a global diffeomorphism.

PS. Sorry about not using LaTeX, I had too much troubles with it.

Thank you

1. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a function between two differentiable manifolds that has a differentiable inverse. In simpler terms, it is a bijective function that preserves smoothness and allows for smooth mapping between two different spaces.

2. What is the importance of a diffeomorphism?

Diffeomorphisms are important in many areas of mathematics and physics, particularly in differential geometry and topology. They allow for the study of smooth structures on manifolds and can be used to define equivalence classes of manifolds.

3. How does a diffeomorphism differ from a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a continuous function between two topological spaces that has a continuous inverse. While a diffeomorphism also has an inverse, it must be differentiable, making it a stricter condition than a homeomorphism.

4. Can a diffeomorphism exist between two non-differentiable spaces?

No, a diffeomorphism can only exist between two differentiable spaces. It requires both the function and its inverse to be differentiable, meaning that the spaces must also be differentiable manifolds.

5. How is a diffeomorphism represented mathematically?

A diffeomorphism is typically denoted as f: M → N, where M and N are differentiable manifolds, and the function f is differentiable and has a differentiable inverse. It can also be represented using coordinate charts and transition functions.