Is a Number Divisible by 15 and 18 Also Divisible by 27?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary: However, there may be values of n that are divisible by 27, despite not being divisible by 15 and 18. In summary, while a number that is divisible by both 15 and 18 is not necessarily divisible by 27, there may still be values of n that are divisible by 27.
Yankel
Hello,

I got a very basic question...

A number n is dividable by 15 and 18. Can I assume from that that it is dividable by 27?

(dividable - you can divide it by 15 and get no reminder).

If it is dividable by 15, it is by 3 and 5. If by 18, it is dividable by 3 and 6, which means 3 and 2.

Can I say that since not every number that is dividable by 3 is also dividable by 9, this number is not dividable by 27, not necessarily anyway ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The least common multiple of 15 and 18 is 90, which is divisible by both 15 and 18. but not 27. However, 270 is also divisible by 15, 18 ... and 27.

So, one cannot assume the number n is divisible by 27, yet that doesn’t mean there is no value of n divisible by 27.

Yankel said:
Hello,

I got a very basic question...

A number n is dividable by 15 and 18. Can I assume from that that it is dividable by 27?

(dividable - you can divide it by 15 and get no reminder).

If it is dividable by 15, it is by 3 and 5. If by 18, it is dividable by 3 and 6, which means 3 and 2.

Can I say that since not every number that is dividable by 3 is also dividable by 9, this number is not dividable by 27, not necessarily anyway ?

If a number is divisible by 15, it is divisible by 3 and 5.

If a number is divisible by 18, it is divisible by 2, 3 and 3.

So if the number is divisible by both 15 and 18, it is divisible by 2, 3, 3 and 5.

There is not any multiplicative combination of 2, 3, 3 and 5 to give 27. So no, we can not assume that the number is divisible by 27.

1. What is division without remainder?

Division without remainder is a mathematical operation where one number (called the dividend) is divided by another number (called the divisor) to find out how many times the divisor can evenly fit into the dividend. In other words, it is a way of sharing or grouping a certain quantity into equal parts.

2. How is division without remainder different from regular division?

In regular division, the result may have a remainder (a number left over that cannot be divided evenly). Division without remainder, on the other hand, always results in a whole number without any remainder.

3. What are some examples of division without remainder?

Some examples of division without remainder are 12 ÷ 3 = 4, 30 ÷ 5 = 6, and 81 ÷ 9 = 9. In each of these cases, the divisor can evenly divide into the dividend without leaving any remainder.

4. How can division without remainder be used in real life?

Division without remainder can be used in many practical situations, such as dividing a certain number of items equally among a group of people, calculating the number of days in a given period of time, or determining the average score on a test.

5. What is the importance of learning division without remainder?

Learning division without remainder is important because it helps develop a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts and operations. It also lays the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts, such as fractions and decimals, which are used in many real-life situations.