Is d((xn), (yn)) = lim d(xn, yn) a metric for Cauchy sequences in (X, d)?

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a metric on the set of all Cauchy sequences in a metric space and whether or not it satisfies the property of d(x,y)=0\Leftrightarrow x=y. After considering different examples, it is determined that there exists a counter example, leading to the conclusion that the defined metric does not have this property.
Bachelier
If (xn) and (yn) are two Cauchy sequences in a metric space (X, d), and we define
d((xn), (yn)) = lim d(xn, yn). Is this a metric on the set of all Cauchy sequences?

I'm thinking yes since all 3 properties work.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you check if the d you defined on the set of Cauchy sequences has the property [itex]d(x,y)=0\Leftrightarrow x=y[/itex]?

thanks fredrik. I thought about it for a minute. So you're telling me it fails?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. You should try to find an example of two different Cauchy sequences S1 and S2 such that d(S1,S2)=0.

I'm thinking of a counter example something like:

let Sn = (0,1,0,1,0,1...) with nth term being 0, and Tn = (0,0,0,0...)

d(Sn,Tn)=lim d(sn, yn)= lim d(0,0)=0 but Sn is different from Tn.

what do you think?

0,1,0,1,0,1,... isn't a Cauchy sequence (and also isn't at 0 "distance" from 0,0,0,...).

Fredrik said:
0,1,0,1,0,1,... isn't a Cauchy sequence (and also isn't at 0 "distance" from 0,0,0,...).

nice,

let Sn= 1/n
Tn = 0,0,0,0,0

d(Sn, Tn) = lim d(sn, tn) = 0 yet sn does not equal tn.

Yes, that works. Another possibility is to let S be any Cauchy sequence, then change just one of its terms, and call the new sequence T. Then we have d(S,T)=0 but S≠T. For example, 1,1,1,1... and 0,1,1,1,...

Last edited:
Thank you Fredrik. :)

Related to Is d((xn), (yn)) = lim d(xn, yn) a metric for Cauchy sequences in (X, d)?

1. Is the metric system the same as the International System of Units (SI)?

Yes, the metric system and SI are essentially the same. The SI is a modern version of the metric system, with a few additional units and prefixes. The two terms can be used interchangeably.

2. What countries use the metric system?

The vast majority of countries around the world use the metric system as their primary system of measurement. Some notable exceptions include the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar.

3. How do I convert from metric to imperial units?

To convert from metric to imperial units, you will need to use conversion factors specific to the units you are converting. For example, to convert from meters to feet, you would multiply the number of meters by 3.28. It is important to note that some imperial units, such as ounces and gallons, have different definitions depending on the country, so conversion may not always be straightforward.

4. What are the advantages of using the metric system?

The metric system is a decimal-based system, making it much easier to use and understand compared to imperial units. It also has a logical and consistent set of prefixes, making it easy to convert between units. Additionally, the metric system is used globally, making it easier for scientists and other professionals to communicate and collaborate.

5. How is the metric system different from the imperial system?

The main difference between the metric and imperial systems is their base units. The metric system uses the meter, gram, and liter as its base units for length, mass, and volume respectively, while the imperial system uses feet, pounds, and gallons. Additionally, the metric system is based on a decimal system, while the imperial system is based on fractions and conversions can be more complex.