Is Entropy More Than Just a Statistical Measure of Disorder?

• Thread starter lehel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary: However, this increase in disorder is not directly related to the increase in entropy. For example, if you have a system at equilibrium with high entropy, but you add a heat bath that raises the temperature, the entropy of the system will increase, but the free energy will not change. This is because the free energy is a function of temperature and not entropy.
lehel
Hello,

I've been recently learning thermodynamics and have some questions about entropy. First off, I understand that it is a statistical measure of disorder and uncertainty and understand the 2nd and 3rd laws fairly well.

My question pertains more to Gibb's Free Energy. As I've learned it, there is only a certain amount of usable energy that can be done as non-expansion work that is equal to enthalpy - temperature*entropy. Thus, I am querying if there is something more to entropy than statistic. Does a system that has increased in entropy increased in energy, and some type of energy that is bound to entropy only? Is the disorder increase related to this unusable energy? I guess I'm wondering if entropy is somehow physical rather than just mathematical.

Science news on Phys.org
The answer is that entropy is more complicated than that. You're not going to get it from studying thermodynamics. You need to study statistical mechanics to get a better hang of entropy, and you really need some basic understanding of quantum mechanics to understand it properly.

If you are just studying thermodynamics, don't worry too much about what entropy actually is.

K^2 said:
The answer is that entropy is more complicated than that. You're not going to get it from studying thermodynamics. You need to study statistical mechanics to get a better hang of entropy, and you really need some basic understanding of quantum mechanics to understand it properly.

If you are just studying thermodynamics, don't worry too much about what entropy actually is.

Well, its more for my own interest of understanding entropy. I was trying to figure out if the the energy that can't be used as work was somehow related to the number of microstates or something like that and if so, how.

I think that entropy doesn't contribute to increase in "unusable energy". It's just transformation of energy usually increases overall entropy because energy transformation transmits information.

Free energy associates with temperature, and it's apparent that hotter the system is, more disorder the arrangement is.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is often referred to as the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. This means that the disorder or randomness in a system will tend to increase, and the available energy for work will decrease.

3. Can entropy be reversed?

No, entropy cannot be reversed. The second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental principle of the universe, and it states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. While it is possible to decrease entropy in a specific area or system, the overall trend will always be towards increasing entropy.

4. How is entropy calculated?

Entropy is typically calculated using the formula S = k ln W, where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates in a system. Microstates refer to the total number of ways that the particles in a system can be arranged without changing its overall energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of entropy?

Some real-life examples of entropy include the melting of ice, the rusting of metal, and the mixing of hot and cold air. These processes all involve an increase in disorder or randomness, and a decrease in the amount of available energy for work.