Is EV Assist the Future of Semi-Trucks?

jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
I have never been impressed with Electric Vehicle (EV) solutions in general. But this one is going in a direction that I like. A great solution for an easy transition with lots of potential for the full EV semi-truck of the future.

You hook up the EV of Revoy between the trailer and the tractor, converting the vehicle instantly into a hybrid:
  • 250 mi range
  • 20-35+ mpg
  • 85% reduction in emissions
  • under 5-minute swap at their stations when depleted (faster than filling a diesel tank!)
  • additional horsepower and stopping power
  • it even adjusts reversing automatically
You don't own it, you rent it.

What do you think about this solution?

s-thing-between-the-truck-and-the-v0-plwd8qiran7c1.jpg

Likes Ranger Mike
Engineering news on Phys.org
jack action said:
You hook up the EV of Revoy between the trailer and the tractor, converting the vehicle instantly into a hybrid:
Hybrids have coordinated control of the electric and gas propulsion (and regenerative braking) via the ECU. How does the addition of this unit handle that coordination? (Sorry if it was mentioned in the video, I didn't watch it yet).

Likes Ranger Mike
It seems to analyze the force at the kingpin connection.

• Wow
Likes Ranger Mike and berkeman
jack action said:
It seems to analyze the force at the kingpin connection.
Dat sounds kind of scary. "I think the cab needs me to push more" (as the truck sits at a red light)...

Likes Ranger Mike
"Revoy on Ice" will be a performance worth watching.

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
"Revoy on Ice" will be a performance worth watching.
Actually, they claim it is safer:

https://www.revoy.com/solutions said:
Manage adverse conditions
Prevent rollovers, flipping in wind, and jackknifing on ice with intelligent auto-corrections from the electric vehicle.

Likes Baluncore
Jack -- please point me to what I'm missing. How is the cab ECU coordinating with this add-on ECU? Please post some valid technical references. This is posted in the technical engineering forums, so you need to post valid references, not a glitzy dumb YouTube video.

Thanks.

This is a new company with a new product, I don't think they are spreading the details on how it works exactly.

That being said, you are the only one wanting the cab ECU to react to the add-on ECU. From what I understand - and what is explained - the add-on ECU has sensors to evaluate the pulling force of the truck; most likely the speed and acceleration are also involved.

Similar concepts are already in use with pedal assist systems for EBikes:
Torque Multiplier

The common approach to using a torque sensor. Either the torque or power to the motor increases in proportion to the human torque on the pedals. If you pedal twice as hard you get twice as much power.
There is no link between the electric motor ECU and the "human ECU" like with a throttle assist system. It seems trivial to coordinate such a system with an internal combustion engine instead of a human.

berkeman said:
Dat sounds kind of scary. "I think the cab needs me to push more" (as the truck sits at a red light)...
If the truck doesn't pull, the add-on doesn't push either. If the truck slows down, the add-on slows down as well. Even better, when the truck backs up, the add-on knows it has to make sure it is in the proper alignment. (The wheels can steer.)

jack action said:
Even better, when the truck backs up, the add-on knows it has to make sure it is in the proper alignment. (The wheels can steer.)
So the agent could tow many of them, back down the hill, coupled together like a caterpillar. Do they regeneratively charge?
I could hire a dozen for an hour, just to reverse around the yard.
Let's start by hooking four of them together in a ring, to see what multiplies.

1. What is EV Assist in the context of semi-trucks?

EV Assist refers to the integration of electric vehicle technology into semi-trucks, primarily through hybrid systems or fully electric powertrains. This technology aims to reduce emissions and fuel consumption, improve efficiency, and decrease operational costs in long-haul transportation.

2. Are electric semi-trucks viable for long-distance hauling?

Yes, electric semi-trucks are increasingly becoming viable for long-distance hauling as advancements in battery technology continue to extend the range of these vehicles. Companies like Tesla and Nikola have developed electric trucks that can cover significant distances on a single charge, suitable for many long-haul routes. However, the current infrastructure for charging and maintenance needs to be expanded to fully support long-distance electric trucking.

3. How do electric semi-trucks impact the environment compared to traditional diesel trucks?

Electric semi-trucks offer a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions compared to their diesel counterparts. Since they run on electricity, they produce zero tailpipe emissions, which is crucial in reducing air pollution and combating climate change. Additionally, if the electricity used is sourced from renewable energies, the environmental impact is further minimized.

4. What are the economic benefits of switching to electric semi-trucks?

Switching to electric semi-trucks can lead to substantial economic benefits for transportation companies. These include lower fuel costs, reduced maintenance expenses due to fewer moving parts, and potential tax incentives and subsidies from governments promoting cleaner energy solutions. Over time, the total cost of ownership of electric trucks can be lower than that of diesel trucks.

5. What are the challenges facing the adoption of EV Assist in semi-trucks?

Several challenges impede the widespread adoption of EV Assist technology in semi-trucks. These include the high initial costs of electric trucks, limited charging infrastructure, especially in remote areas, and concerns about the range and payload capacity compared to diesel trucks. Additionally, the industry faces a need for technological advancements in battery capacity and charging speed to make electric trucks more appealing for widespread use.