Is ##f(x)=2^{x}-1## considered an exponential function?

In summary: Ultimately, for ##a>0 ##, you may write : ##a^x =e^{x ln(a)}, ## so I'd say it qualifies.When considering the growth of the function for large x, I would call it exponential growth. But IMO, to call it an exponential function is a mistake. There are too many situations where you would have to continually mention the added constant.When considering the growth of the function for large x, I would call it exponential growth. But IMO, to call it an exponential function is a mistake. There are too many situations where you would have to continually mention the added constant.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
I wonder if it's ##f(x)=2^{x}-1## considered an exponential function?
Relevant Equations
##f(x)=a^{x}##
I wonder if it's ##f(x)=2^{x}-1## considered an exponential function because in my textbook it's stated that the set of values of an exponential function is a set of positive real numbers, while when graphing this function I get values(y line) that are not positive(graph in attachments), so I am not sure if the statement "the set of values of an exponential function is a set of positive real numbers" applies only to this type of function ##f(x)=a^{x}## or does it include all types of functions, like this one ##f(x)=2^{x}-1##?

Thank you

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-27 at 22.09.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-27 at 22.09.15.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21
Physics news on Phys.org
Callmelucky said:
Homework Statement:: I wonder if it's ##f(x)=2^{x}-1## considered an exponential function?
Relevant Equations:: ##f(x)=a^{x}##

I wonder if it's ##f(x)=2^{x}-1## considered an exponential function because in my textbook it's stated that the set of values of an exponential function is a set of positive real numbers, while when graphing this function I get values(y line) that are not positive(graph in attachments), so I am not sure if the statement "the set of values of an exponential function is a set of positive real numbers" applies only to this type of function ##f(x)=a^{x}## or does it include all types of functions, like this one ##f(x)=2^{x}-1##?

Thank you
Yes, this is an exponential function. Your textbook is considering only functions of the form ##f(x) = a^x##, which would have only positive values. The one you asked about is the translation down by 1 unit of ##y = 2^x##, so the translated version will have negative values when x < 0.

Likes MatinSAR, DeBangis21 and Callmelucky
Callmelucky said:
Homework Statement:: I wonder if it's ##f(x)=2^{x}-1## considered an exponential function?
Relevant Equations:: ##f(x)=a^{x}##

Thank you
This depends more on the context than on a precise definition.

as an algebraic object:
a linear combination of an exponential (##x\mapsto 2^x##) and a constant (##x\mapsto 1##) function

as an algorithmic runtime:
an exponential function, the shift by ##-1## is irrelevant

as an analytical function:
a shifted (by ##c##) exponential function (##x\mapsto a^x+c##)

It is not purely an exponential function, but the effect of minus one is in almost all cases negligible so people might call it exponential despite of it.

Likes DaveE, MatinSAR, DeBangis21 and 2 others
Mark44 said:
Yes, this is an exponential function. Your textbook is considering only functions of the form ##f(x) = a^x##, which would have only positive values. The one you asked about is the translation down by 1 unit of ##y = 2^x##, so the translated version will have negative values when x < 0.
thank you

fresh_42 said:
This depends more on the context than on a precise definition.

as an algebraic object:
a linear combination of an exponential (##x\mapsto 2^x##) and a constant (##x\mapsto 1##) function

as an algorithmic runtime:
an exponential function, the shift by ##-1## is irrelevant

as an analytical function:
a shifted (by ##c##) exponential function (##x\mapsto a^x+c##)

It is not purely an exponential function, but the effect of minus one is in almost all cases negligible so people might call it exponential despite of it.
thank you

Ultimately, for ##a>0 ##, you may write : ##a^x =e^{x ln(a)}, ## so I'd say it qualifies.

When considering the growth of the function for large x, I would call it exponential growth. But IMO, to call it an exponential function is a mistake. There are too many situations where you would have to continually mention the added constant.

FactChecker said:
When considering the growth of the function for large x, I would call it exponential growth. But IMO, to call it an exponential function is a mistake. There are too many situations where you would have to continually mention the added constant.
Still, as ##a ## grows, the value of the function and it's translate will become very close, even if the ln slows the growth of the ## a##

Similar question: is ##f(x) = kx + m ##, ##(m \neq 0 )## considered to be a linear function? :wink:

It depends on your definition.
Some say "yes" (usually in calculus) because the graph is a straight line.
Some say "no" (usually in linear algebra) because it does not fulfill ##f(x_1 + x_2) = f(x_1) + f(x_2)## and ##f(ax) = af(x)##.

Likes dextercioby, FactChecker, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Mark44 said:
Yes, this is an exponential function.
Maybe not an exponential function per se, but definitely a simple transformation of one.

Mark44 said:
Maybe not an exponential function per se, but definitely a simple transformation of one.
Agreed. The only reason I can think of to not call it officially an exponential function is this. If there are theorems about exponential functions, they might not apply to this function.

Mark44 said:
It depends on what we consider the essential information and it therewith depends on context. I am used to complexity considerations so ##f(x)=O(2^x).## Others may consider them as linear independent functions in some algebra, ##2^x## and ##-1.## Again others may see its asymptotic behavior, i.e. the exponential part.

The question becomes more interesting if we consider examples like ##f(x)=2^x+x^2+x \log x +c.## Would we still call it exponential? Probably not, although it is still ##f(x)=O(2^x).## So that would be a non-exponential function with an exponential behavior.

Likes dextercioby and DaveE
malawi_glenn said:
Similar question: is ##f(x) = kx + m ##, ##(m \neq 0 )## considered to be a linear function? :wink:

It depends on your definition.
Some say "yes" (usually in calculus) because the graph is a straight line.
Some say "no" (usually in linear algebra) because it does not fulfill ##f(x_1 + x_2) = f(x_1) + f(x_2)## and ##f(ax) = af(x)##.
That's a(ffine) example you used.

Likes fresh_42

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable. The base, b, is usually a positive number greater than 1, and the exponent, x, can be any real number.

2. Is f(x) = 2^x - 1 an exponential function?

Yes, f(x) = 2^x - 1 is an exponential function because it follows the form of f(x) = ab^x, where a = -1 and b = 2.

3. How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you can create a table of values by choosing different values for x and plugging them into the function to find corresponding values for y. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to graph the function.

4. What is the domain and range of an exponential function?

The domain of an exponential function is all real numbers, while the range depends on the value of the base, b. If b > 1, the range will be all positive numbers, and if 0 < b < 1, the range will be all positive numbers less than 1.

5. How is an exponential function different from a linear function?

An exponential function has a variable in the exponent, while a linear function has a variable in the base. This causes exponential functions to grow or decay at a faster rate than linear functions. Additionally, the graph of an exponential function is a curved line, while the graph of a linear function is a straight line.