Is Infrared Light a kind of light or just heat?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of infrared light and whether it is considered a type of light or heat. There is no definitive answer, but it is generally agreed that infrared light is a type of light on the electromagnetic spectrum, which can also produce heat when absorbed by objects. There is some debate on whether the term "light" specifically refers to visible light or all electromagnetic waves.
kevin123
Hi guys

I know we feel infrared light as heat but my question is that is infrared a kind of light or just heat ?

Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
kevin123 said:
Hi guys

I know we feel infrared light as heat but my question is that is infrared a kind of light or just heat ?

Thank you
There's no exact answer to that because it just relies on a rather fuzzy categorisation of Electromagnetic Waves with frequencies just less than visible light. IR tends to be used to describe EM waves that can be generated, transmitted and detected in much the same way as Visible Light. (but we cannot see it). Hot objects can be detected by the EM waves they emit. We call it Radiated Heat - another slightly approximate term but we know what we mean. But all objects will radiate all wavelengths of Electromatic Waves to a greater or lesser extent.

Infrared light is light. Electromagnetic energy can be produced at a range of different wave lengths. We call that range a spectrum. The spectrum for light is divided into sections such as visible light, ultra violet light and infrared light.

We tend to use "heat radiation" and "infra red radiation" to mean the same thing but actually light of any frequency can heat something if it's absorbed.

Perhaps the short answer is that it's both. Infra red light is a type of light and a type of heat.

Likes russ_watters and sophiecentaur
CWatters said:
Infrared light is light. Electromagnetic energy can be produced at a range of different wave lengths. We call that range a spectrum. The spectrum for light is divided into sections such as visible light, ultra violet light and infrared light.

We tend to use "heat radiation" and "infra red radiation" to mean the same thing but actually light of any frequency can heat something if it's absorbed.
I wouldn't disagree with that but it does show that the word "light" can (or not) be taken to mean visible EM waves. You'd have to ask yourself when does the 'light-ness' of EM waves of a few hundred nanometers wavelength stop.
One can lose a lot of sleep worrying about such classification questions and never get anywhere useful.

Likes CWatters
sophiecentaur said:
I wouldn't disagree with that but it does show that the word "light" can (or not) be taken to mean visible EM waves. You'd have to ask yourself when does the 'light-ness' of EM waves of a few hundred nanometers wavelength stop.
One can lose a lot of sleep worrying about such classification questions and never get anywhere useful.

Good point. If the IR comes from a heater we call it heat but if it comes from your TV remote control we call it light.

kevin123 said:
Hi guys

Thank you
CWatters said:
that is the answer :smile:

CWatters said:
Good point. If the IR comes from a heater we call it heat but if it comes from your TV remote control we call it light.

That's just an observation. Your previous comment covers it :smile:
if you increase the output of the remote control to that of your 1 bar heater ... you WILL feel heat

CWatters said:
Perhaps the short answer is that it's both. Infra red light is a type of light and a type of heat.
The point is, it is EM. It is neither heat nor light in itself EM is EM is EM be it low freq radio, high freq microwave radio, IR, visile light, x-rays or gamma rays

NONE of them are HEAT, and we only call a section of it light BECAUSE we can see it ( it happens to fall within our eyes sensitivity range).

A kilowatt of microwave EM "heats" an object just as any other wavelength does

ALL EM energy will heat an object as it absorbs photons

Dave

kevin123 said:
Hi guys

Thank you

This links gives you a simple look at the EM spectrum.

https://sites.google.com/site/chempendix/em-spectrum

SL_EMspectrum.jpg

Do you see anything familiar here that might answer your question?

Zz.

Attachments

• SL_EMspectrum.jpg
    SL_EMspectrum.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 352
Likes davenn
The word heat doesn't describe a particular kind of energy, but rather labels it based on how it behaves and flows. On the other hand, electromagnetic waves are a kind of energy. Infrared light is electromagnetic waves, just like visible light. Usually physicists use the term light to mean any kind of electromagnetic wave, but sometimes it also just means visible light.

1. Is infrared light a type of light or just heat?

Infrared light is a type of light that is not visible to the human eye, but can be felt as heat. It falls on the electromagnetic spectrum between visible light and microwaves.

2. How is infrared light different from other types of light?

Infrared light has a longer wavelength than visible light, making it invisible to the human eye. It also carries less energy than visible light, but more energy than radio waves.

3. What are the sources of infrared light?

Infrared light can be emitted by any object that has a temperature above absolute zero, including the sun, fire, and even the human body.

4. Can infrared light be harmful to humans?

Infrared light is not harmful to humans in small doses. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of infrared radiation can cause damage to the eyes and skin.

5. How is infrared light used in scientific research?

Infrared light is used in various fields of scientific research, such as astronomy, biology, and chemistry. It is also used in technology, such as night vision cameras and remote temperature sensing devices.