Is it a Career Mistake to Leave a Good Job for Personal Happiness?

In summary, the person is seeking career advice and is considering quitting their job at a rural plant site and finding a new job back home due to not liking the area and missing their friends and family. The expert suggests finding a new job before quitting and also mentions the value of plant site experience for a younger engineer. They advise the person to stick it out for at least a year and consider making efforts to meet new people in the area. They also suggest considering the duration of the field assignment and discussing the situation with their manager. They recommend not shorting the current employer on effort and focus, and to send out resumes to test the waters but not jeopardize their current job.
NewEngineer
Hey forum, I'm looking for some career advice for myself and I'll try to keep this short and sweet. To give you some background I graduated with my BS in mech. engineering in May 2015. I was hired into a company's rotational program and started out as a LEAN engineer for about 16 months, then was transferred (from Philadelphia) to be a project engineer at a rural plant site. The job is good, but I realize that I do not like the area that I was moved too. My social life is non-existent anymore, mainly due to the fact that I now live in a very rural area. And honestly, I just miss my friends and family. My question to you is, wold I be making a career mistake by quitting my job here and trying to find something back home?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is anything wrong with finding a new job, but I think you have the order wrong. You should find a new job back home before you quit your current job.

Likes CivilSigma and Dr. Courtney
phyzguy said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with finding a new job, but I think you have the order wrong. You should find a new job back home before you quit your current job.

Thanks for your reply. And yes, that would probably be better order to take. Do you think I am putting myself in a bad position since I have about 2 years work experience? A lot of jobs I see posted (that are not entry level) require 3-5 years. I'd rather not put myself through another whole year here.

NewEngineer said:
Thanks for your reply. And yes, that would probably be better order to take. Do you think I am putting myself in a bad position since I have about 2 years work experience? A lot of jobs I see posted (that are not entry level) require 3-5 years. I'd rather not put myself through another whole year here.

It's hard to know without applying. Most jobs that say 3-5 years will at least consider you if you have 2 years. Start applying for the postings you see and see what happens. You should be able to find a new job without jeopardizing your current job.

I don't know what line of work you're in, but in many, "plant site" experience is one of the most valuable things you can get as a younger engineer. If I were you, I would seriously consider staying on longer. I know it is hard, but try to make some new friends in the area where you are working. I did this a lot during my career -- show up for work at a new (to me) site not knowing anyone. After awhile you get better at meeting new people; I actually enjoyed it. Later on in your career you can be the guy who really understands the plants and the customers. Also, while you're out in the field, you avoid a lot of the "home office politics" which may be a plus or minus depending on how you view it.

That's my two cents.

gmax137 said:
I don't know what line of work you're in, but in many, "plant site" experience is one of the most valuable things you can get as a younger engineer. If I were you, I would seriously consider staying on longer. I know it is hard, but try to make some new friends in the area where you are working. I did this a lot during my career -- show up for work at a new (to me) site not knowing anyone. After awhile you get better at meeting new people; I actually enjoyed it. Later on in your career you can be the guy who really understands the plants and the customers. Also, while you're out in the field, you avoid a lot of the "home office politics" which may be a plus or minus depending on how you view it.

That's my two cents.

Thanks for you input. Like I said, its not the job or (most of) the people here that I dislike. I would try to find something similar back home if I could. But its the area that surrounds the plant/where I live. And this may sound immature, but how long would be acceptable? A year, 3 years, 5 years?

So, you have been at the plant site for what, 4 or 5 months? If you really really hate living there you can move on, but (my suggestion) don't move on if you just had a bad week or two. Try to stick it out for a year, that's a nice round number on your resume (looks better than "5 months").

Did you get relocated from the home office? Does the field assignment have a specified duration or is it just "your job is at this site now." Are you on some kind of expenses or perdiem deal? Can you go back to work in the Philly office? Have you talked to your manager (the one who sent you off) about your wanting to move back home?

Remember, I don't really know you or your situation, so ...

I'm an engineer. When I was 24/25 I spent 2 years in the Navy in Pascagoula, Mississippi, which was exactly as you would expect. I think sucking it up for a full year would be better for your long term prospects and is not as long as you think.

Also, there isn't anywhere in PA far enough from Philly that you can't still hang out with your friends there on Saturday night, if they give you a couch to crash on.

You can start making some efforts sending out a couple resumes each week to test the waters.

But take care not to short your current employer on effort or focus. You might need to hang on longer than you think if the doors for other options don't swing open wide.

At the same time, you might try a bit harder to embrace the rural life: hunting, fishing, shooting, county fair, etc. I find rural life to be a lot more fun, especially if within road tripping distance to a big city to scratch that itch when it comes.

Likes russ_watters and gmax137

1. What types of education or degrees are necessary for a career in engineering as a young engineer?

In general, a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university is required to become an engineer. However, some employers may also prefer or require a master's degree for certain roles. It is important to research the specific requirements for the type of engineering you are interested in pursuing.

2. What skills or qualities are important for a young engineer to have?

Aside from strong technical knowledge in their specific field of engineering, young engineers should also possess good communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They should also be detail-oriented, organized, and able to work well in a team.

3. What are some important steps to take in order to advance in an engineering career?

Networking, continuously learning and improving technical skills, and seeking out new opportunities and challenges are important steps to advance in an engineering career. It is also beneficial to gain experience in different areas of engineering and to stay updated on industry developments and advancements.

4. What industries or fields can young engineers work in?

Engineering is a broad field, and young engineers can work in various industries such as aerospace, construction, energy, healthcare, manufacturing, and technology. They can also specialize in different types of engineering, such as civil, mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering.

5. How can a young engineer stand out in a competitive job market?

In addition to having strong technical skills and qualifications, young engineers can stand out by developing soft skills, such as leadership, teamwork, and adaptability. It is also important to have a strong portfolio of projects and experiences, as well as actively seeking out and participating in internships, co-ops, and other hands-on opportunities.