Is it cooler hanging ice packs from a fishnet bag or in a thermal lunch-bag?

In summary: Natural convection helps keep the environment around the food warm.Hanging the bags to prevent conductive coolingIn summary, the solution to keeping the food cold is to hang the bags from a hook in the fridge so that the majority of the time they will not touch the thermal bags. This will allow for a convective air current to develop, but does not seem to make that much of a difference. Better still may be to use a blanket to keep the ice packs cool and not allow for a convective current to start.
DynV
Summary: I think I found the solution at the end of the post, posting in case someone has a better idea.

I plan on going shopping somewhere a bit distant because my local supermarkets dropped the majority of store brands. I suspect the whole trip will take 90-120 mins. I have a deep freezer, ice packs, multiple thermal bags (I keep forgetting to bring some and buy new ones), thermal lunch-bags and a fishnet bag.

I'm wondering which would keep the ice packs cooler, either
  1. leaving them in lunch-bags overnight then leaving them at the bottom of the thermal bags, or
  2. rigging the fishnet bag so they stay mid-air in the thermal bags?
Thank you kindly for your help

I was reviewing my post and I think I found the solution: I could hang the lunch-bags so the majority of the time they wouldn't touch the thermal bags.

Science news on Phys.org
So, I presume you want to hang the bags to prevent conductive cooling. But do mind that hanging them will allow for a convective air stream to develop. So I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference.

I also presume you think that thermal bags are better at dealing with radiative cooling than with conductive cooling, which could be true, I don't know. But better still may be to grab some blanket, wrap the ice packs in them and snug those in the thermal bags (blankets not only keep warm things warm, but also cool things cool :wink: ). This way you have less conductive heating and don't allow for a convective current to start.

Likes phinds
Arjan82 said:
hang the bags to prevent conductive cooling
indeed

I'm not too sure what convective current is, but it sounds like cold vanishing in the air, which as soon as I open the bags to put food it, warmer air will rush into expel it. I'm fine with a blanket, I can put it in a bag and beside the size it's light.

DynV said:
I'm not too sure what convective current is, but it sounds like cold vanishing in the air, which as soon as I open the bags to put food it, warmer air will rush into expel it.

Not exactly. The phenomenon is called 'natural convection'. Even with the bags closed an air current establishes that carries heat from the ice pack to the walls. Air near the ice pack cools off, so the density increases and this air sinks. This air needs to be replaced by the warmer air above. The cold air heats up again when moving along the sides of the bag and therefore rises again (density decreases). So air is continuously carrying away cold from the ice pack to the sides of the bag.

Likes DynV

1. Is it more effective to hang ice packs from a fishnet bag or place them in a thermal lunch-bag?

It depends on the purpose of the ice packs. If the goal is to keep food or drinks cool, both methods can be effective. However, if the goal is to cool a specific area or object, hanging ice packs from a fishnet bag may provide more direct and concentrated cooling.

2. Will hanging ice packs from a fishnet bag or placing them in a thermal lunch-bag affect the overall temperature of the surrounding environment?

Both methods can potentially affect the surrounding temperature, but hanging ice packs from a fishnet bag may have a greater impact. The fishnet bag allows for more air circulation, which can lead to a larger cooling effect on the surrounding area.

3. Can the type of ice pack affect the effectiveness of hanging them from a fishnet bag or placing them in a thermal lunch-bag?

Yes, the type of ice pack can make a difference. Gel-based ice packs tend to stay colder for longer periods of time, making them more effective for both methods. However, if using traditional ice packs, hanging them from a fishnet bag may be more effective as it allows for better air circulation and prevents the ice from melting too quickly.

4. Are there any safety concerns with hanging ice packs from a fishnet bag or placing them in a thermal lunch-bag?

As long as the ice packs are properly sealed and not leaking, there should be no safety concerns with either method. However, it is important to make sure the ice packs do not come into direct contact with food or drinks, as they may contain chemicals that are not meant for consumption.

5. Can the location of where the ice packs are hung or placed make a difference in their effectiveness?

Yes, the location can make a difference. Hanging ice packs from a fishnet bag in a well-ventilated area or near a fan can help circulate the cold air and make them more effective. Placing them in a thermal lunch-bag in a shaded or cool area can also help maintain their cool temperature for longer.