Is it hard being a PF Mentor?

• Thread starter ISamson
  • Start date
In summary: I actually searched for a list of the 20 Rings of Power in order to type the above. :o]In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of being a PF Mentor and the responsibilities that come with it. It also references Lord of the Rings and uses it as a metaphor for the work of mentors in protecting the forum from trolls and maintaining its integrity. The names of former mentor Orodruin and the rings of power are mentioned, adding a humorous element to the conversation.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.
Is it hard being a PF Mentor? Moderating forums, editing threads...
What is it like, Mentors of PF? Always wondered...
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ISamson said:
Hello.
Is it hard being a PF Mentor? Moderating forums, editing threads...
What is it like, Mentors of PF? Always wondered...
Thank you.

No, it's not hard. The "BAN" button is this big, red square right in the middle of the screen. Very easy to find.

Zz.

Likes cnh1995, davenn, dlgoff and 4 others
Whatever it is, they make it look easy.
Same as a stage act. The people behind the scene(s) never get the full credit deserved to make everything fall in place seamlessly.

Likes davenn, ISamson, Drakkith and 3 others
Here is an average day for a mentor

979c7fd9bfb4ef7353f8a2d2972a1a67dc28ff5f8c9677fe36444fbc6c5ce44a.jpg

Attachments

• 979c7fd9bfb4ef7353f8a2d2972a1a67dc28ff5f8c9677fe36444fbc6c5ce44a.jpg
    979c7fd9bfb4ef7353f8a2d2972a1a67dc28ff5f8c9677fe36444fbc6c5ce44a.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 854
Likes Wrichik Basu, Astronuc, cnh1995 and 13 others
I think of PF mentors like this:
mentors-png.png

Attachments

• mentors-png.png
    mentors-png.png
    266.2 KB · Views: 471
Likes Wrichik Basu, Ibix, ISamson and 2 others
Greg Bernhardt said:

View attachment 214807

Why?
I like it!

@Greg Bernhardt , do you work as a mentor too, or do you have other more fundamental PF things to look after?

Last edited:
ISamson said:
@Greg Bernhardt , do you work as a mentor too, or do you have other more fundamental PF things to look after?

what does the green sign under Greg's Avatar say ?
that is the big clue

Likes ISamson
ISamson said:
Basically I make sure the lights stay on :wink:

Likes cnh1995, ISamson and davenn
Greg Bernhardt said:
average
Average!?
:biggrin::biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:

View attachment 214807
There are more than nine mentors, though. :confused:

:wink:

Likes mfb and ISamson
Greg Bernhardt said:

View attachment 214807

Billions of users every day, millions of new threads, trillions of new posts, hundreds of new members... And that's only the beginning...
:DD:cool::headbang::oldgrumpy::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Ibix said:
There are more than nine mentors, though. :confused:

:wink:
Three for the Elves, Seven for the Dwarves, Nine for Men, and two as measurement error, makes 21 mentors.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, donpacino and Ibix
mfb said:
Three for the Elves, Seven for the Dwarves, Nine for Men, and two as measurement error,

Why these numbers?:DD

ISamson said:
Why these numbers?:DD
The picture is an illustration of the attack on Minas Tirith from Return of the King. It's led by the nine (formerly human) Ring Wraiths, but mfb is referencing the other rings of power from Lord of the Rings: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Rings_of_Power

Likes mfb and ISamson
Ibix said:
The picture is an illustration of the attack on Minas Tirith from Return of the King. It's led by the nine (formerly human) Ring Wraiths, [...]
But I thought the mentors would be inside Minas Tirith, defending the place from all the foul orcs and trolls?

Likes Greg Bernhardt and ISamson
strangerep said:
But I thought the mentors would be inside Minas Tirith, defending the place from all the foul orcs and trolls?

Exactly.

strangerep said:
Well that was what I thought at first. But then I noticed the angle the picture was drawn from. You may also wish to look up the meaning of former mentor Orodruin's name.

Of such stuff are conspiracy theories born... :wink:

Likes mfb
strangerep said:
But I thought the mentors would be inside Minas Tirith
And get help from all the deads? That would be easy!

Technical note: The rings for the elves were on the side of Minas Tirith, and the rings for the dwarfs were not involved as far as I know.

Ibix said:
Well that was what I thought at first. But then I noticed the angle the picture was drawn from. You may also wish to look up the meaning of former mentor Orodruin's name.

Isn't the purpose of @Greg Bernhardt 's image to show how many PF users try to take down PF with questions and threads that the Mentors and the Administrator have to 'protect'?

Wikileaks has just released PF security cam footage from last year during a rather typical confrontation with a forum troll

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc, davenn, strangerep and 3 others
Ibix said:
[...] But then I noticed the angle the picture was drawn from.
:oldconfused:
Well, it's either an aerial view from another winged Nazgul, or else on higher ground west of the Pelennor fields from where the Riders of Rohan are approaching.

You may also wish to look up the meaning of former mentor Orodruin's name
Heh -- no need. I recognized it the first time I saw it, years ago.

Although,... I'm not sure why he chose that name -- I'm reasonably sure you can't access a "Sammath Naur" through his belly button. :oldbiggrin:

mfb said:
And get help from all the deads? That would be easy!
Hmm, not sure I follow. Who are "the deads" here? Mentors Emeriti? [Edited]

Technical note: The rings for the elves were on the side of Minas Tirith, and the rings for the dwarfs were not involved as far as I know.
That went over my head. 2 Elven rings Vilya(Elrond) and Nenya(Galadriel) were not present at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, but Narya(Gandalf) was there, though he didn't use it openly.

But why are the dwarf rings relevant? Their power was essentially for accumulating wealth, iiuc.

[Edit: Oh good grief! My nerdiness score just increased considerably, methinks.]

Last edited:
strangerep said:
Mentors Emeritus?
That would be "mentors emeriti"... or maybe "mentorae meriti"...

Likes strangerep

Question 1: What qualifications are required to become a PF Mentor?

To become a PF Mentor, one must have a strong academic background in the subject they wish to mentor, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a passion for helping others succeed in their studies.

Question 2: Is it time-consuming to be a PF Mentor?

The time commitment for being a PF Mentor varies depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, it involves a few hours of mentoring sessions per week, as well as some preparation time for materials or lesson plans. However, the rewards of helping students make it a worthwhile time investment.

Question 3: What are the main responsibilities of a PF Mentor?

A PF Mentor's main responsibility is to provide academic support and guidance to students in a specific subject or course. This may involve conducting one-on-one or group tutoring sessions, creating study materials, and helping students develop effective study strategies.

Question 4: How do PF Mentors assist students in their learning?

PF Mentors assist students by providing additional explanations and examples, helping students identify and address their learning gaps, and teaching effective study techniques. They also serve as a source of motivation and encouragement for students.

Question 5: What are the benefits of being a PF Mentor?

Besides the satisfaction of helping students succeed, being a PF Mentor also offers valuable experience in teaching and mentoring, which can be beneficial for future career opportunities. It also allows for the development of leadership and communication skills, as well as deepening one's understanding of the subject being mentored.