Is It Possible to Prove the Complex Number Challenge?

In summary: Thanks for the input. Such topics are confusing sometimes and an extra care must be taking when dealing with them. I personally face difficulties dealing with some of these concepts.Thanks for the input.
Greg
Gold Member
MHB
Prove that $\arg[(a+bi)(c+di)]=\arg(a+bi)+\arg(c+di)$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
greg1313 said:

we have $(a+bi)(c+di) = (ac - db) + (bc + ad)i$
hence $\arg[(a+bi)(c+di)] = \arg (ac - db) + (bc + ad)i$
or $\arg[(a+bi)(c+di)] = \arctan (\frac{bc + ad}{ac-db})$
$= \arctan (\frac{\frac{b}{a}+ \frac{d}{c}}{1 - \frac{b}{a}\frac{d}{c}})$
$= \arctan (\tan ( \arctan(\frac{b}{a}) + \arctan(\frac{d}{c}))$
$= \arctan(\frac{b}{a}) + \arctan(\frac{d}{c})$
$=\arg(a+bi)+\arg(c+di)$.

Last edited:
Let $z_1 = a + bi$ and $z_2 = c + di$. Express these complex numbers in polar form as:
$$z_1 = r_1 e^{i \theta_1}$$
$$z_2 = r_2 e^{i \theta_2}$$
By simple complex multiplication:
$$z_1 z_2 = r_1 e^{i \theta_1} r_2 e^{i \theta_2} = r_1 r_2 e^{i \left ( \theta_1 + \theta_2 \right )}$$
It follows by definition of the complex argument that:
$$\mathrm{arg} ~ z_1 = \theta_1$$
$$\mathrm{arg} ~ z_2 = \theta_2$$
$$\mathrm{arg} ~ z_1 z_2 = \theta_1 + \theta_2 = \left ( \mathrm{arg} ~ z_1 \right ) + \left ( \mathrm{arg} ~ z_2 \right )$$
$$\blacksquare$$

greg1313 said:

I suppose you mean the principle argument because the given function is multivalued!

ZaidAlyafey said:
I suppose you mean the principle argument because the given function is multivalued!

Yes, thanks.

I note, in passing, that the proposition stated cannot hold if just one of the two complex numbers is zero (even if one adopts the convention that $\arg(0) = 0$).

ZaidAlyafey said:
On the contrary, the result is false if you insist on the principal value of the argument, because the left and right sides can differ by $2\pi.$

Opalg said:
On the contrary, the result is false if you insist on the principal value of the argument, because the left and right sides can differ by $2\pi.$

I don't see how is that possible ? Give an example please.

Opalg said:

OK, I think the values should be taking modulo $2\pi$.

The situation is this:

The complex exponential turns sums of angles into products of unit complex numbers. But this function is not injective, so taking the inverse (which is essentially what this problem asks us to do) requires some qualification.

I should have put more thought into what I was asking. My apologies and thanks for the replies.

greg1313 said:
I should have put more thought into what I was asking. My apologies and thanks for the replies.

Such topics are confusing sometimes and an extra care must be taking when dealing with them. I personally face difficulties dealing with some of these concepts.

Related to Is It Possible to Prove the Complex Number Challenge?

What is a "Complex Number Challenge"?

A "Complex Number Challenge" is a mathematical problem or puzzle that involves complex numbers. Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component, and are often represented as a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

Why are complex numbers important in science?

Complex numbers are important in science because they allow us to represent and solve problems that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. They are used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and understand complex systems and phenomena.

What are some examples of "Complex Number Challenges" in science?

Some examples of "Complex Number Challenges" in science include solving differential equations, finding the roots of polynomial equations, and modeling electrical circuits. These challenges often require the use of complex numbers to find solutions.

How do scientists use complex numbers in their research?

Scientists use complex numbers in their research in a variety of ways. For example, in physics, complex numbers are used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. In engineering, they are used to analyze and design electronic circuits. In economics, they are used to model financial markets and predict trends.

What are some strategies for solving "Complex Number Challenges"?

Some strategies for solving "Complex Number Challenges" include converting the problem to polar form, using the properties of complex numbers, and graphing the problem on the complex plane. It is also important to understand the basics of complex arithmetic and how to manipulate complex numbers to simplify the problem.