Is it possible to see Newton rings in CT (xray) images?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of Newton's rings interference pattern appearing in transverse CT images of two solid water blocks stacked on top of each other. The question is whether this is possible with x-rays, and if so, what type of lens would be needed to demonstrate it. There are many potential causes for ripple effects in an image, and further information is needed to determine the cause in this specific case. One potential explanation is that the rings are artifacts from motion during the scan. Images are provided as examples for clarification.
ireland01
I have seen what looks like Newtons rings interference pattern in transverse CT images of 2 solid water block on
top of each other. My understanding is that Newtons rings occur in visible light eg photography or scanners. Can anyone shed some light on this? :)

Science news on Phys.org
It is certainly possible for Newton's rings to form from any kind of light - including x-rays. The trick it to work out what sort of lens to use to demonstrate this.
You get the rings from light passing through a spherical lens on a reflective plane surface ... would the geometry of the "two blocks of water" be consistent with this?

We need more information to work out what is causing the pattern you see - there are lots of possible causes of ripple effects in an image.
You may like to look at:
http://www.x-ray-optics.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=63&lang=en

Last edited by a moderator:
ireland01 said:
I have seen what looks like Newtons rings interference pattern in transverse CT images of 2 solid water block on
top of each other. My understanding is that Newtons rings occur in visible light eg photography or scanners. Can anyone shed some light on this? :)

If I understand you correctly, those are artifacts produced by breathing (motion) during a scan:
http://images.radiopaedia.org/images/3234993/142d6c6760890cec00173fad02b622_gallery.png
http://images.radiopaedia.org/images/6109236/da8a628b604924c56bb5a7b2ba84d8_big_gallery.JPG

If I am misunderstanding, can you post/link to an image?

1. Can Newton rings be seen in CT (xray) images?

Yes, Newton rings can be seen in CT (xray) images. However, they may be difficult to distinguish from other artifacts or structures in the image.

2. What are Newton rings and how do they form in CT images?

Newton rings are concentric rings of light and dark areas that form when two flat surfaces with different curvatures are pressed together. In CT images, they can be caused by the contact between the x-ray detector and the patient's skin.

3. Are Newton rings a common occurrence in CT images?

No, Newton rings are not a common occurrence in CT images. They are more likely to occur in older CT machines with less advanced technology.

4. Do Newton rings affect the accuracy of the CT image?

Newton rings can affect the accuracy of the CT image by creating artifacts that may obscure or distort other structures in the image. However, with modern technology and advanced image processing techniques, their impact can be minimized.

5. How can Newton rings be prevented in CT images?

To prevent Newton rings in CT images, the patient's skin should be clean and free of any oils or lotions before the scan. The CT machine should also be regularly maintained and calibrated to ensure optimal image quality and reduce the occurrence of artifacts.