Is it Possible to solve Exponential Equations like these?

In summary, there is no algebraic method to solve the given equation. A numerical or graphical solution using iteration is the best approach. By rearranging the equation, it can be estimated that x is approximately 10. This can be used to rewrite the second exponential expression and obtain a more accurate solution.
Alex Myhill

Homework Statement

Hi, I have come across this equation in modelling exponential growth and decay. I am wondering if it is possible to solve it algebraically or not?

Homework Equations

8000-1.2031 * e^ (0.763x)=(0.5992×e^0.7895x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Brought all e^(ax) values to one side, however beyond that step I am really not sure of where to go, have looked at the problem for several hours without any results, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Myhill said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I have come across this equation in modelling exponential growth and decay. I am wondering if it is possible to solve it algebraically or not?

Homework Equations

8000-1.2031 * e^ (0.763x)=(0.5992×e^0.7895x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Brought all e^(ax) values to one side, however beyond that step I am really not sure of where to go, have looked at the problem for several hours without any results, any help would be appreciated.
In general, there is no algebraic method to solve such equations since they are transcendental rather than algebraic by nature.

Only a numerical or graphical solution can be obtained. Iteration using different trial values of x is probably the quickest way to find a solution here.

Hi SteamKing, thankyou for your answer, I have learned something from that.

In this particular equation, you can easily see that the second exponential expression is likely to be about half the first, so x must be about 10.
You could then rewrite the .7895x as .763x+.0265x, or approximately .763x+0.265. That should get you to a reasonably accurate answer. You could redo that with the more accurate x value as a check.

1. Can all exponential equations be solved?

Yes, all exponential equations can be solved using various methods such as logarithms, factoring, and the power rule.

2. Why are exponential equations difficult to solve?

Exponential equations involve a variable in the exponent, making them more complex and challenging to solve compared to linear equations.

3. Is there a specific method for solving exponential equations?

There are several methods for solving exponential equations, including logarithms, factoring, and the power rule. The method used depends on the specific equation and its complexity.

4. Can technology be used to solve exponential equations?

Yes, technology such as calculators and graphing software can be used to solve exponential equations. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods for solving these equations by hand.

5. Are there real-life applications of solving exponential equations?

Yes, exponential equations are commonly used in science and finance to model growth and decay. They are also used in various fields such as physics, biology, and economics.