Is it right to say that calculus is advanced algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between calculus and algebra. While some may define calculus as a branch of algebra, most mathematicians would not agree. The main difference is that calculus involves limits and the study of change, while algebra deals with discrete quantities and structures. The fundamental axiom of analysis sets calculus apart from algebra.
Collisionman
I was having a discussion with a friend and I wanted to know if the following statement is true:

"calculus is advanced algebra and deals with curves (changing numbers), group theory is another branch of advanced algebra. The point is they are all algebra."

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Definitions are neither true or false. If your friend wants to define calculus as a branch of algebra, he is welcome to. Most mathematicians probably would not agree. The main difference is that the subject of algebra (as ordinarily defined) does not involve limits, while analysis (calculus being a part) does.

I wouldn't agree with that statement. Calculus is the mathematics of change and integration of volumes. While calculus uses algebra in its analysis, it doesn't make it algebra. Algebra is concerned with the study of the rules of operations and relations, and how it constructs structures (Wiki).

For instance, if you have the following equation; f(x)=y=Ax^2.
Algebra is concerned with what the value of y is when x is equal to a particular value.

Calculus on the other hand, is concerned with how the same function changes with respect to a particular variable. In this case, dy/dx would be how y changes with respect to x (y'=2Ax).

Then again, I'm not a mathematician so I could be wrong.

The fundamental difference between calculus and algebra is not surprisingly the fundamental axiom of analysis.

The statement you quote seems to come from someone with a high-school type view that algebra is just replacing numbers with letters, and that therefore most advanced maths is advanced algebra.

I think algebra is its own subject area, but it is easy to end up discussing semantics and not mathematics when talking about names of subjects.

One very obvious distinction between algebra and calculus: the former deals withs discrete quantities, the latter continuity.

Related to Is it right to say that calculus is advanced algebra?

1. Is calculus just advanced algebra?

No, calculus is not just advanced algebra. While calculus does build upon many concepts from algebra, it also introduces new concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. How is calculus different from advanced algebra?

Calculus is different from advanced algebra in that it deals with continuous functions and rates of change, while advanced algebra deals with discrete variables and equations. Calculus also involves graphical and numerical methods, while advanced algebra primarily focuses on algebraic manipulations.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in algebra to learn calculus?

Yes, a strong foundation in algebra is necessary to understand and excel in calculus. Many fundamental concepts in calculus, such as functions and equations, are built upon concepts from algebra.

4. Can I skip algebra and directly learn calculus?

No, it is not recommended to skip algebra and directly learn calculus. A solid understanding of algebra is essential to grasp the concepts and techniques in calculus. It is also important for future courses in mathematics and science.

5. Is calculus more difficult than advanced algebra?

This can vary from person to person. Some may find calculus more difficult due to the introduction of new concepts and techniques. However, others may find it easier due to its practical applications and real-world relevance. Ultimately, both subjects require a strong understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts and a lot of practice to master.