Is it too hard "God Created the Integers"?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Stephen Hawking book that includes important but potentially difficult books in its bibliography. The question is raised about the meaning of a word in English that may pertain to the book being a popularization.
Gjmdp
This Stephen Hawking book gathers the most important books along human history. In theory, this book is just divulgative, but, Gäuss, Riemann, Gödel... books included in Hawking's are not meant to be divulgative. So, any of you who read the book(/books if separeted) think it's maybe too hard. PD: I've got some basics on Multivariable Calculus, not much far away from that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gjmdp said:
This Stephen Hawking book gathers the most important books along human history. In theory, this book is just divulgative, but, Gäuss, Riemann, Gödel... books included in Hawking's are not meant to be divulgative. So, any of you who read the book(/books if separeted) think it's maybe too hard. PD: I've got some basics on Multivariable Calculus, not much far away from that.
What does that word mean in English?

I may be completely off-track here, but from the context it seems like he means the Hawking book is a popularization but the bibliography lists book that are not popularized for the masses.

smodak said:
I may be completely off-track here, but from the context it seems like he means the Hawking book is a popularization but the bibliography lists book that are not popularized for the masses.
Well, we could guess about it forever. Maybe he'll answer my question and we won't have to.

phinds said:
What does that word mean in English?

That's an attempt to make an adjective from divulge.

martinbn said:
That's an attempt to make an adjective from divulge.
Perhaps, but if so I fail to see how it makes sense. Why are we guessing about this? @Gjmdp how about you explain what you are talking about?

1. Is "God Created the Integers" too difficult for the average person to understand?

No, the book is written in a way that is accessible to people with a basic understanding of mathematics. However, some parts may be more challenging for those without a strong background in math.

2. What is the purpose of "God Created the Integers"?

The book is a compilation of writings and research on the history of mathematics and its impact on society. It aims to educate readers on the contributions of various mathematicians and their theories.

3. Is "God Created the Integers" a religious text?

No, the title is meant to be metaphorical and does not have any religious connotations. The book primarily focuses on the mathematical concepts and their evolution.

4. Who is the target audience for "God Created the Integers"?

The book is intended for anyone interested in the history of mathematics, from students to professionals in the field. It can also be a valuable resource for those interested in the intersection of mathematics and other disciplines, such as philosophy and science.

5. Are there any criticisms of "God Created the Integers"?

While the book has received mostly positive reviews, some critics have noted that it may be too dense and detailed for the casual reader. Additionally, some have pointed out that the author's personal biases may have influenced the selection and interpretation of certain historical events and theories.