Is it true that magnets forced into opposition lose magnetic their force?

In summary: You now have two smaller magnets, each with their own north and south poles. In summary, clamping two magnets together in the same polarity won't weaken their magnetic power and the same effect occurs when the magnets are placed in attraction mode.
wmingin
Good morning wise friends!

Its a cold morning here in southern New Jersey, my Labrador Retreiver (Mocha) is at my feet and we're expecting snow tomorrow. (I love snow, makes me appreciate the spring!)

O.K., the question.

I have heard that two permanent magnets clamped together N to N or S to S will lose their magnetic power. Is this true, and can anyone explain why?

If true, does the same effect occur when the magnets are placed in attraction mode?

May you all have good health and happiness always...

Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
wmingin said:
Good morning wise friends!

Its a cold morning here in southern New Jersey, my Labrador Retreiver (Mocha) is at my feet and we're expecting snow tomorrow. (I love snow, makes me appreciate the spring!)

O.K., the question.

I have heard that two permanent magnets clamped together N to N or S to S will lose their magnetic power. Is this true, and can anyone explain why?

If true, does the same effect occur when the magnets are placed in attraction mode?

May you all have good health and happiness always...

Bill
Clamping two magnets together won't degrade their magnetizm. Evidence: the magnetizm of the permanent magnets in electric motors never lose their magnetizm, even though they are subject to constant and repeated magnetic opposition forces (torque). Also, in diamagnetism, the magnet in situ is exposed to a continuous repulsion, yet a permanent magnet's ability to attract like-magnets is never diminished with respect to time (assume Curie temperature is never reached).

Two magnets placed in "attraction mode" is the same thing as taking a single magnet and breaking it in half.

Good morning Bill,

Thank you for your interesting question about magnets and their magnetic force. It is a common belief that when two magnets with the same polarity (N to N or S to S) are forced into opposition, they lose their magnetic force. However, this is not entirely true.

Magnets do not lose their magnetic force when they are forced into opposition. What actually happens is that the magnetic fields of the two magnets cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker overall magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field lines of the two magnets are in opposite directions and cancel each other out.

The same effect does not occur when the magnets are placed in attraction mode (N to S). In this case, the magnetic field lines of the two magnets combine and strengthen each other, resulting in a stronger overall magnetic field.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify any misconceptions about magnets losing their magnetic force when forced into opposition. Enjoy the snow with Mocha and have a great day!

Related to Is it true that magnets forced into opposition lose magnetic their force?

1. What is the concept of magnets losing their force when forced into opposition?

The concept of magnets losing their force when forced into opposition is based on the law of magnetic poles. This law states that opposite poles of a magnet attract each other, while like poles repel each other. When two magnets are forced into opposition, their poles are aligned in the same direction and therefore repel each other, resulting in a decrease in their magnetic force.

2. Is it true that all magnets lose their force when forced into opposition?

No, not all magnets will lose their force when forced into opposition. Permanent magnets, such as those made from iron, cobalt, or nickel, will lose some of their magnetic force when forced into opposition. However, temporary magnets, such as electromagnets, can be turned on and off and their force can be controlled, even when forced into opposition.

3. Can magnets regain their force after being forced into opposition?

Yes, magnets can regain their force after being forced into opposition. This process is known as "re-magnetization". When two magnets are forced into opposition, they can be separated and rotated so that their poles are aligned in the opposite direction. This will result in the magnets attracting each other and regaining some of their lost force.

4. Does the strength of the magnets affect their loss of force when forced into opposition?

Yes, the strength of the magnets will affect their loss of force when forced into opposition. Stronger magnets will have a greater force of attraction or repulsion, and therefore a stronger force will be required to force them into opposition. This means that stronger magnets will lose more of their force when forced into opposition compared to weaker magnets.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the loss of force in magnets when forced into opposition?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the loss of force in magnets when forced into opposition. These include the distance between the magnets, the temperature, and the material of the magnets. For example, magnets made from certain materials, such as neodymium, are more resistant to losing their force when forced into opposition compared to magnets made from other materials.