Is light eye colour dominant or recessive trait?

In summary, a study found that children with light-colored eyes are likely to have parents with light-colored eyes. This raises the question of whether the light eye color trait is dominant or recessive. When considering the recessive scenario, it is possible to determine the genetic configuration of the child based on their eye color. However, in the dominant scenario, the correlation between eye colors becomes more complex and would require a thorough examination of all possible combinations to determine any definite conclusions.
navneet9431
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A study found that children with light-coloured eyes are likely to have parents with light-coloured eyes. On this basis, can we say anything about whether the light eye colour trait is dominant or recessive? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

Not Any

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this question comparing two cases.
One,where light eye colour is considered to be dominant trait and is represented by 'L' and other where light eye colour is considered to be recessive trait and is represented by letter 'l' .
I really do not know how to move on to the next step?
Please provide a solution.
Note:I am a High School student and English is my second language.
I will be thankful for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Idea about starting from l and or L combinations looks reasonably.

Assuming it is recessive - is there anything you can be sure about parents? What can you tell about their kids?

I afraid for dominant it is more convoluted and you will need to write out all possible combinations and see where it leads.

Assuming that it is recessive I can say that the genetic configuration of the child is ll .
Now,this configuration is possible if both the parents have "ll" or either of them have "Ll" and the other has "ll".
Am I correct with me reasoning?

I am really not sure about the Dominant case.
Please help!

Well, what you write is OK, but if you want to see if there is a correlation between eye colors you better start with light eyed parents and see what is eye color of their children.

What is a dominant trait?

A dominant trait is a characteristic that is expressed when there is at least one copy of the gene present in an individual's DNA.

What is a recessive trait?

A recessive trait is a characteristic that is only expressed when there are two copies of the gene present in an individual's DNA.

Is light eye colour considered a dominant or recessive trait?

Light eye colour is considered a recessive trait. This means that an individual must have two copies of the gene for light eye colour in order to express this trait.

Can two parents with dark eye colour have a child with light eye colour?

Yes, it is possible for two parents with dark eye colour to have a child with light eye colour. This can occur if both parents carry a copy of the gene for light eye colour and pass it on to their child.

Why is it important to understand whether light eye colour is dominant or recessive?

Understanding whether a trait is dominant or recessive can help us predict the likelihood of that trait being expressed in future generations. This information can be useful in genetic counseling and in understanding the inheritance of certain traits and disorders.