Is magnesium hydrogencarbonate commonly found in lab?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what substances are commonly found in a laboratory to prepare magnesium sulphate by reacting with dilute sulphuric acid. The model answer lists four substances: Mg, Mg(OH)2, MgO, and MgCO3, with some additional clarification on how Mg(HCO3)2 reacts with H2SO4. The individual asking the question also provides an answer, including Mg(HCO3)2, and asks for confirmation on its validity. The conversation then shifts to discussing the stability of magnesium bicarbonate, with the individual providing evidence that it is stable enough to be sold in a lab setting.
jadelamlam

Homework Statement

Hi,there is a question from my textbook:
Name FOUR substances commonly found in the laboratory to prepare magnesium sulphate by reacting with dilute sulphuric acid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my answer:
Mg(OH)2,MgO,MgCO3,Mg(HCO3)2
Here is the model answer:
Mg,Mg(OH)2,MgO,MgCO3

Mg(HCO3)2 react with H2SO4 to give MgSO4:
Mg(HCO3)2 (aq) + H2SO4 (aq) --> MgSO4 (aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)

Is it possible for me to write Mg(HCO3)2?If not,please explain briefly.
THX a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi :smile:

Our lab has it, and I don't think its uncommon at all.

HI :),
That means my answer is possible?

jadelamlam said:
HI :),
That means my answer is possible?

Yep.

Can you show me a bottle of your magnesium bicarbonate? I was under the impression it was fairly unstable.

Apparenbtly it is stable enough to be offered for sale, google for its CAS number 2090-64-4.

1. What is magnesium hydrogencarbonate?

Magnesium hydrogencarbonate, also known as magnesium bicarbonate, is a chemical compound with the formula Mg(HCO3)2. It is a white, odorless, crystalline solid that is commonly used in laboratory experiments.

2. Is magnesium hydrogencarbonate commonly found in lab?

Yes, magnesium hydrogencarbonate is commonly found in laboratory settings. It is often used as a source of magnesium ions in various reactions and experiments.

3. What are the properties of magnesium hydrogencarbonate?

Magnesium hydrogencarbonate is a slightly soluble compound that is stable under normal laboratory conditions. It has a molar mass of 146.32 g/mol and a melting point of 175 °C. It is also slightly acidic in nature.

4. How is magnesium hydrogencarbonate prepared in the lab?

Magnesium hydrogencarbonate can be prepared in the lab by reacting magnesium carbonate with carbon dioxide gas. This reaction produces magnesium hydrogencarbonate and water. It can also be prepared by reacting magnesium oxide or magnesium hydroxide with carbonic acid.

5. What are the common uses of magnesium hydrogencarbonate in the lab?

Magnesium hydrogencarbonate has several uses in laboratory experiments. It is often used as a source of magnesium ions in reactions, as a pH buffer, and as a mild antacid. It can also be used in the production of magnesium salts and as a source of carbon dioxide gas in chemical reactions.