Is My Acid Equilibrium Final Review Correct?

In summary, The student has a hard time knowing if the solutions are correct because of errors in the problem statement. The signs for delta G are incorrect, and the student confirms their teacher's answer.
yolo123
Hello Forum!
I have this review package for my final full of weird mistakes. Problem is that it is hard for me to know if the solutions are right or not:
Could you please look at this problem I attached?

They bizarrely switch from HA to HB. Is that just a typo?

Then, the sign of DG° seems to be wrong! We are looking at the forward reaction, ie it is positive!

I have my final very soon. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 4.47.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 4.47.16 PM.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 558
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 4.47.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 4.47.09 PM.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is HA? I do not see it in your attached picture.

I attached two pictures, one is really tiny. Sorry about that.

The HA is a typo. The work backs it up. Your teacher means HB.

Also what do you think the sign on delta G standard should be and why?

yolo123 said:
Hello Forum!
I have this review package for my final full of weird mistakes. Problem is that it is hard for me to know if the solutions are right or not:
Could you please look at this problem I attached?

They bizarrely switch from HA to HB. Is that just a typo?

Then, the sign of DG° seems to be wrong! We are looking at the forward reaction, ie it is positive!

I have my final very soon. Any help is appreciated!
It looks like a typo in the problem statement.

Chet

Hmm.. I may have been mistaken. Tell me if I make sense:
So we use Ka (dissociation of HA). Plug that into -RTln(Q)=DG°.
Now, I must reverse the sign because I'm looking at the REVERSE process.
In the end, I get a negative result, which confirms my teacher's answer!

I would say that because your teacher uses double headed arrows, he's referring to an equilibrium, and therefore delta G should be 0. But this isn't relevant because your teacher refers to delta G standard.

Last edited:
Qube said:
I would say that because your teacher uses double headed arrows, he's referring to an equilibrium, and therefore delta G standard should be 0.
This is not correct. ΔG should be zero, not ΔG standard.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
This is not correct. ΔG should be zero, not ΔG standard.

Chet

Good point! I'll fix it.

So, was my final response right6?

1. What is an acid equilibria with delta G?

An acid equilibria with delta G refers to the thermodynamic equilibrium between the dissociated and undissociated forms of an acid, where delta G represents the change in Gibbs free energy. It is a measure of the stability of the acid in solution and can be used to predict the direction of the reaction.

2. How is delta G related to acid equilibria?

Delta G is related to acid equilibria because it is a measure of the energy change that occurs during the dissociation of an acid. The magnitude and sign of delta G can determine whether the reaction will proceed in the forward or reverse direction, thus affecting the equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium constant for acid equilibria?

The equilibrium constant for acid equilibria is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the concentration of reactants and products. Changes in any of these factors can shift the equilibrium position and affect the value of the equilibrium constant.

4. How can acid equilibria be manipulated to favor the formation of a particular product?

Acid equilibria can be manipulated by changing the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature and concentration of reactants and products. By altering these factors, the equilibrium position can be shifted to favor the formation of a particular product.

5. Why is understanding acid equilibria with delta G important for scientists?

Understanding acid equilibria with delta G is important for scientists because it allows them to predict the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as biochemistry, where the stability of acids and their reactions with other molecules play a critical role in biological processes.