Is My Capacitor Fully Charged?

In summary, a circuit with a capacitor and resistances connected in series with a DC voltage source will result in the capacitor having the same voltage as the source and no current flow after a long interval of time. This indicates that the capacitor is fully charged at that voltage, but can still store more charge if the DC voltage is raised. However, this does not mean that the capacitance of the capacitor increases with an increase in DC voltage. Capacitance is defined as the ratio of charge to voltage, and does not change with an increase in voltage.
Gaurav sandhu
suppose i have a circuit,in which a capacitor and resistances are connected in series with a DC voltage source.
then after a long interval of time we know that capacitor will have same voltage across its terminal as that of DC voltage source and no current flow in the circuit.
so, can i say at that time, my capacitor is fully charged...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, fully charged at that voltage. If you raise the DC voltage, the capacitor can store more charge.

anorlunda said:
Yes, fully charged at that voltage. If you raise the DC voltage, the capacitor can store more charge.
that means capacitance of a capacitor is increases with increase in DC voltage around it !

i think this is not true...

Gaurav sandhu said:
that means capacitance of a capacitor is increases with increase in DC voltage around it !

i think this is not true...

No. The charge stored increases, not the capacitance. Capacitance C is defined as the ratio of charge Q to voltage V. C=Q/V

anorlunda said:
No. The charge stored increases, not the capacitance. Capacitance C is defined as the ratio of charge Q to voltage V. C=Q/V
ok...i got it...

thanks a lot...

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to a capacitor?

Capacitance is the ability of a capacitor to store electrical charge. It is measured in Farads (F) and is directly proportional to the amount of charge that can be stored on the capacitor. In other words, the higher the capacitance, the more charge a capacitor can hold.

2. What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor depends on three main factors: the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of material used as the dielectric between the plates. The larger the surface area and the smaller the distance between the plates, the higher the capacitance will be. The type of dielectric also plays a role, as different materials have different abilities to store charge.

3. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in Farads, Q is the charge stored on the capacitor in Coulombs, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in Volts. Another formula, C = εA/d, can be used for parallel plate capacitors where ε is the permittivity of the dielectric, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. How does the capacitance of a capacitor affect its performance in a circuit?

The capacitance of a capacitor determines its ability to store charge and thus its ability to affect the flow of current in a circuit. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge and thus can have a greater impact on the circuit. Capacitors with different capacitances can also be used to filter out certain frequencies in a circuit.

5. Can the capacitance of a capacitor change over time?

Yes, the capacitance of a capacitor can change over time due to factors such as temperature, pressure, and aging of the capacitor's materials. This can affect the performance of the capacitor in a circuit and can be accounted for in circuit design by selecting capacitors with appropriate tolerances and by regularly testing and replacing old capacitors.