Is My Rope Bridge Design Safe? Seeking Feedback on My Plans

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a rope bridge spanning 40 ft over a pond. The speaker acknowledges the need for professional design but plans to overbuild it and use 3-4 ropes for support. They have calculated the midspan force to be 583 lbs without accounting for people. Questions are raised about the distribution of tension and the use of the formula, with the recommendation to account for the maximum number of people and apply a factor of safety.
Sundog
I'm designing a rope bridge that will span around 40 ft over a pond. First off, I know its not recommended to build a bridge like this without having it designed by a professional. However, I plan on overbuilding it and it will not be very high. I'm also thinking about using 3 or 4 ropes to support the deck instead of the normal 2.

Using the formula H = w L2 / (8 d) I've calculated the midspan force to be around 583 lbs (estimating 350 lbs for wood, 40 foot span, and a sag of 3 feet). This is without accounting for people.

Here are my questions:
- Will the tension be distributed across the number of ropes used to support the bridge? Ex. two ropes would be 291 lbs on each rope.
- Is this the right formula to be using? Would I need to use a different formula to account for people since that weight is not even distributed?

Thank you for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to allow for the maximum number of people in the worst position, presumably the centre, standing at one edge. I think it would be difficult to ensure that the load is shared equally by the ropes and I would be inclined to make each one able to carry the full load. I presume you will also apply a factor of safety somehow, especially as things deteriorate and you may (or may not?) have people's safety involved.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Sundog said:
First off, I know its not recommended to build a bridge like this without having it designed by a professional.
That pretty much sums up our advice on your project. For liability reasons, we cannot allow this thread on the PF. Thread will stay closed.

What is a rope bridge?

A rope bridge is a type of bridge that is made by suspending ropes or cables between two points, and then weaving planks or ropes to create a walkway. It is typically used to cross a gap or void, such as a river or canyon.

How does a rope bridge work?

A rope bridge works by distributing the weight of the people or objects crossing it across the ropes or cables. The tension in the ropes supports the weight, while the planks or ropes of the walkway provide stability and a surface to walk on.

What are the benefits of a rope bridge?

Rope bridges are often used in remote or rugged areas where traditional bridges are not feasible. They are relatively easy to construct and can be built with materials that are readily available in the surrounding environment. Additionally, they have a low environmental impact and can be easily dismantled and removed if necessary.

What are the potential risks of using a rope bridge?

Rope bridges can be less stable than traditional bridges, especially in adverse weather conditions. They also require regular maintenance and inspections to ensure the ropes and cables are in good condition. Additionally, there is a risk of falling or injury if the bridge is not built or used properly.

How can the safety of a rope bridge be ensured?

To ensure the safety of a rope bridge, it is important to have it designed and built by experienced professionals. Regular inspections and maintenance should also be conducted to check for any wear and tear or damage to the bridge. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when using a rope bridge, such as not overloading it and using appropriate safety gear.