Is my understanding of the hot air balloon equation correct?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with an equation for a hot air balloon and the resulting negative temperature when the volume is less than 1m^3. It was clarified that the equation can be correct even with a negative temperature, as it accounts for the weight of the load being greater than the displaced air. The ideal gas law explains this solution, but it is not physically reasonable.
Poseidonho
I had meet a problem when I study the concept of the hot air balloon. The equation was giving
Load = P*V*(1/TempAir - 1/TempBalloon)/R

Then I reverse to

TempBalloon = 1/[1/TempAir -Load*R/(P*V)]

When the volume is less then 1m^3, the temperature calculated giving negative temperature (In kelvin and degree also) but suppose had a greater in temperature with my understanding for the theory.

So is that any wrong in the equation or my understanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order for the units of your formula to balance correctly, the following quantities must be specified:

Load in kg

Temperatures are in degrees Kelvin

Pressure in Pascals

Volume in cubic meters

R for air is 287.058 J/kg/K

Poseidonho said:
So is that any wrong in the equation or my understanding?

As I understand it, you derived an equation that gives the required temperature to give a specified lift, holding everything else (ambient temperature, ambient pressure, volume of the balloon) constant. Now you wonder -- can the equation be correct even though it sometimes gives a negative temperature as a result?

Yes, it can be correct. If the load you are trying to lift is heavier than the mass of the air displaced by the balloon then no matter how hot you heat the air in your balloon, it can never be light enough to have a net upward buoyancy greater than the weight of the load.

The ideal gas law says that a fixed volume with a negative temperature has a negative mass. This is not physically reasonable, but does account for the solution you are getting when the load is too high.

Thank You very much, I understand d

I cannot provide a definitive answer without further information. However, based on the given equation and your understanding, it appears that your understanding is incorrect. The hot air balloon equation is based on the ideal gas law, which states that pressure (P), volume (V), and temperature (T) of a gas are directly proportional. The equation you provided is a rearranged version of the ideal gas law, where the load (weight of the balloon and its contents), is factored in.

The equation you have reversed is incorrect because it does not take into account the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature. It is not possible for the temperature of the balloon to be negative, as this would violate the laws of thermodynamics. Additionally, the equation does not specify the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature, which could also lead to incorrect calculations.

In order to properly understand the concept of the hot air balloon, it is important to understand the ideal gas law and how it applies to the balloon's operation. It is also important to have accurate and complete equations, along with the correct units, to ensure accurate calculations. I recommend consulting with a physics or thermodynamics expert for further clarification and understanding.

Related to Is my understanding of the hot air balloon equation correct?

What is the hot air balloon equation?

The hot air balloon equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the volume, density, and temperature of the air inside a hot air balloon. It is used to determine the amount of hot air needed to lift a balloon and maintain its altitude.

How is the hot air balloon equation derived?

The hot air balloon equation is derived using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related. By manipulating this equation, the hot air balloon equation can be derived.

What factors affect the hot air balloon equation?

The hot air balloon equation is affected by several factors, including the volume of the balloon, the weight of the basket and passengers, and the temperature of the air inside and outside of the balloon. Changes in any of these factors can impact the amount of hot air needed for a balloon to lift off and maintain its altitude.

How does the hot air balloon equation relate to the lift of a balloon?

The hot air balloon equation directly relates to the lift of a balloon, as it determines the amount of hot air needed to create enough buoyant force to overcome the weight of the balloon and everything attached to it. This equation is crucial in ensuring a safe and successful hot air balloon flight.

How is the hot air balloon equation used in real-life applications?

The hot air balloon equation is used in several real-life applications, such as designing and constructing hot air balloons, predicting the altitude and duration of a balloon flight, and determining the optimal amount of fuel needed for a hot air balloon to travel a certain distance. It is also used in weather forecasting and studying the behavior of gases.