Is Non-Linear Algebra the Key to Solving Homelessness?

In summary: It's mind-blowing and completely nonsensical at the same time. He definitely has some kind of understanding of math and physics, but his presentation and ideas are completely flawed and unfounded. In summary, the conversation revolves around a video of a homeless man discussing supposed non-linear algebra. The participants express their confusion and disbelief at the man's ideas and presentation. They also mention his claims of discovering implosive gravity and his belief in a 9-dimensional space. They ultimately conclude that while the man may have some understanding of math and physics, his ideas are flawed and nonsensical.
phildoe
lol if you have time for a 6minute video watch this homeless guy is talking about suposed non-linear algebra. I couldn't follow ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tc-kjz9s2IA&mode=related&search=

If anyone can follow this to me the numbers just don't seem to add up please explain...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What a waste of time.

how can you resist the charm of a hobo.

I want 5 minutes of my life back.

I've seen better hobos.

Werg22 said:
What a waste of time.

Not really, it just isn't presented in a decent format or logical way. I don't think it would be difficult to add rigor to what he is describing though. Look at the top comment about graphs, that is pretty much what he is doing, his comments about math though are rather unfounded.

His argument is that mathematics is flawed because we can alter the mathematical ideas expressed through the physical by changing the way we read numbers and operators. What value does that have? We use a certain convention of symbols and within that convention we are able to express ideas. 1+1+1 means "one unit that is put together with another unit and then another unit". This idea is universal and the convention allows anyone to translate those 5 symbols into an idea. He doesn't seem to understand that; for him, mathematics is about traveling through numbers and operators in space. If we wants the placement in triangle to mean the coalition of 4 sets of units, he must specify so, making it a convention just like the one we normally use.

Last edited:
the point at ~3.00 is ridiculous, 3x1 = 2 + 3? w/e kind of algebra he's invented its definitely not the regular kind.

Werg22 said:
His argument is that mathematics is flawed because we can alter the mathematical ideas expressed through the physical by changing the way we read numbers and operators. What value does that have? We use a certain convention of symbols and within that convention we are able to express ideas. 1+1+1 means "one unit that is put together with another unit and then another unit". This idea is universal and the convention allows anyone to translate those 5 symbols into an idea. He doesn't seem to understand that; for him, mathematics is about traveling through numbers and operators in space. If we wants the placement in triangle to mean the coalition of 4 sets of units, he must specify so, making it a convention just like the one we normally use.

I'm certainly not arguing that this has any validity in regards to the way we traditionally do mathematics, but it is an interesting idea to think about it more in the context of graph theory or the like. But the point about the order in which we read a string of operators and operands(is that the right word) is actually rather imporant, the reason we can add in both directions( ie 1+2 is the same as 2+1) is because addition is a commutative operation, not all operations are commutative, however, take subtraction as an example. I won't deny his presentation is rather poor, but I think it would be an interesting topic to research.

ice109 said:
the point at ~3.00 is ridiculous, 3x1 = 2 + 3? w/e kind of algebra he's invented its definitely not the regular kind.

I will give you this, but it does point out that even if what he is presenting could be valid with some added rigor, his way of presenting it is very poor.

hahah doubt to many will but if you havnt got enough of this guy he also claims to have discovered implosive gravity... and all along we were giving credit to that clown Eienstien. damn

this guy is all sorts of crazy, watch the other videos him.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6922175879233663406&hl=en

that one is good

Last edited by a moderator:
"Until now everyone has always told you direction has nothing to do with mathematics, It has to do with physics". Well think about matrices mate. Mathematicians have always told my that they aren't commutative. And I'm quite sure we do have forms of what he calls "planar and volumic" mathematics. He seems like he knows something about mathematics, so perhaps he is just trying to explain a more complex concept to laymen, by making some things incorrect..

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
"Until now everyone has always told you direction has nothing to do with mathematics, It has to do with physics". Well think about matrices mate. Mathematicians have always told my that they aren't commutative. And I'm quite sure we do have forms of what he calls "planar and volumic" mathematics. He seems like he knows something about mathematics, so perhaps he is just trying to explain a more complex concept to laymen, by making some things incorrect..

That could really be said of any crackpot.

Also, view the video from post 11 before you say he isn't a nut.

Last edited:
Gib Z said:

no he sounds like any other crackpot with a personal language, peppered with real buzzwords, and delusions of grandeur

ice109 said:
this guy is all sorts of crazy, watch the other videos him.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6922175879233663406&hl=en

that one is good

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Uh oh, =.="

I was tricked by his Mathematical thingy. :cry: I thought, well, this is okay, he may have an idea. But... well, must admit that I was seriously wrong. >"<

I am not patient enough to watch his 11-minute video above, describing a 9 dimensional space :eek:.

VietDao29 said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Uh oh, =.="

I was tricked by his Mathematical thingy. :cry: I thought, well, this is okay, he may have an idea. But... well, must admit that I was seriously wrong. >"<

I am not patient enough to watch his 11-minute video above, describing a 9 dimensional space :eek:.

dude you really should watch it, the 9th dimension is love and then it becomes god.

d_leet said:
I won't deny his presentation is rather poor, but I think it would be an interesting topic to research.

I would hate to have to write THAT grant application.

ice109 said:
dude you really should watch it, the 9th dimension is love and then it becomes god.

Haha yea, I loved that part of the movie:rofl:

Im capped so it would take me all day to view that :( I am Sure the title gives away enough for me to take any flattering comments back =]

This guy is a [censored] moron.

The point of this forum is not to make fun of people. And it is definitely not to seek out people to make fun of. Do not do this again. :mad:

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a homeless genius and a crackpot?

A homeless genius is someone who has immense intelligence and potential, but due to various circumstances, is living on the streets without access to resources and opportunities. A crackpot, on the other hand, is someone who has unorthodox or unconventional ideas and theories that are not supported by evidence or accepted by the scientific community.

2. Can a homeless person be a genius?

Yes, a person's living situation does not determine their intelligence. Homelessness can be a result of various factors such as financial instability, mental health issues, or lack of support systems. A homeless person may have the potential to be a genius, but their circumstances may prevent them from fully realizing it.

3. How can a homeless person be a genius if they don't have access to education and resources?

While access to education and resources can certainly enhance one's intelligence and potential, it is not the sole determining factor. A person's genetics, environment, and life experiences also play a significant role in their intelligence. Additionally, many homeless individuals are self-taught and have a natural curiosity and thirst for knowledge.

4. Are there any famous homeless geniuses?

There have been several famous individuals who were homeless at some point in their lives, including Steve Jobs, Halle Berry, and Jim Carrey. While their situations may have been temporary and due to specific circumstances, it shows that homelessness does not define one's potential or success.

5. Can a crackpot ever be taken seriously by the scientific community?

It is possible for a crackpot to be taken seriously if they are able to provide solid evidence and support for their ideas and theories. However, the burden of proof lies on the individual making the claims, and it is ultimately up to the scientific community to determine the validity and credibility of their ideas.