Is Person A a Knight or a Knave on the Island?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of knights and knaves, where knights always tell the truth and knaves always lie. A person on an island, referred to as A, states that "If I am a knight, then at least one of us is a knave." By using atoms and truth tables, the conversation attempts to determine if A is a knight or a knave. However, it is pointed out that the truth table does not reflect the concept of vacuous truth, and incorporating the given information about knights and knaves may lead to the answer.
wololo

Homework Statement

A person can either be a knight (always tells the truth) or a knave (always tells a lie).

On an island with three persons (A, B and C), A tells "If I am a knight, then at least one of us is a knave".

Homework Equations

Truth tables, logic rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the atoms P=A is a knight, Q=B is a knight, R=C is a knight, and the sentence P⟺P→(¬P∨¬Q∨¬R) I get the following truth table:
JMn47.png

How can I find if A is a knight or a knave from this table? My guess would be that he is a knave since it is not a tautology but I am really not sure. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't really analysed your logic statement but one thing jumps out at me about the TT and that is this:

Consider the statement A => <whatever>

if A is false then it doesn't matter what <whatever> is, the statement A => <whatever> is true. It is what's called a vacuous truth. Your TT does not reflect this.

Yeah but the statement the person said P→(¬P∨¬Q∨¬R) will always be TRUE if he is a knight and always FALSE if he is a knave. This is why I added an if and only if in front of it. P⟺P→(¬P∨¬Q∨¬R) then means (if i am a knight, then at least on of us is a knave) is only true when the person speaking is a knight.

wololo said:
Yeah but the statement the person said P→(¬P∨¬Q∨¬R) will always be TRUE if he is a knight and always FALSE if he is a knave. This is why I added an if and only if in front of it. P⟺P→(¬P∨¬Q∨¬R) then means (if i am a knight, then at least on of us is a knave) is only true when the person speaking is a knight.
If I understand what you just said, then you are not understanding what I said. Do you dispute what I said? If so why and if not, why are you arguing about <whatever> is since it doesn't matter?

I agree that P->Q is only false when P is true and Q is false. If P is false, whatever value Q, P->Q will be true, so we both agree on that. The thing is that my truth table is not for an implication, but for an equivalence between an implication and an atom. Suppose we use a simple statement such as P<=>(P->Q). Then take a look at the row where P is False and Q is True. In that case, the value of P->Q will be true, whereas the value with which we concern ourselves, namely P<=>(P->Q), will be false, because the value of P (false) is not the same value as P->Q (true).

The reason it matters is because my truth table should not reflect P->Q as you say, since it is the truth table for P<=>P->Q (or rather P<=>P->not(P or Q or R) if we use the actual statement).

wololo said:
I agree that P->Q is only false when P is true and Q is false.
OK, then we are in agreement. I haven't looked at the rest of what you are doing, I just thought you had that wrong.

phinds said:
OK, then we are in agreement. I haven't looked at the rest of what you are doing, I just thought you had that wrong.
The thing is, I was never wrong, since the last column in the truth table is NOT a vacuous truth...

I wasn't familiar with "atoms" as such in the context of logic, so I googled a few relevant phrases, and finally found quite a bit on "atomic propositions". They're statements or assertions that have a definite truth value.

Along the lines of the posts of @phinds , it may be helpful to include a column in your truth table which includes that statement of person A in symbolic form.
¬P ∨ ¬Q ∨ ¬R​

From that, it's clear that A cannot be a knave. If he were, his statement would be true, however vacuously. Therefore, person A must be a knight.

So, clearly you have not hit upon that atomic proposition which you are seeking.You have not used the given information that knights always tell the truth and knaves always lie and each person falls into one of those categories or the other. Incorporating such information may lead you to your goal.

Good fortunes !

What is a truth table?

A truth table is a visual representation of the logical relationships between propositions. It displays all possible combinations of truth values for different propositions and their corresponding truth values.

How do you interpret a truth table?

To interpret a truth table, you need to compare the truth values of the propositions in each row and see how they affect the truth value of the overall statement. This can help determine the validity or invalidity of an argument.

What is the purpose of a truth table?

The purpose of a truth table is to provide a systematic and organized way to evaluate the truth values of complex logical statements. It helps to identify patterns and relationships between propositions and determine the overall truth value of a statement.

What are the components of a truth table?

A truth table typically consists of columns that represent individual propositions and their truth values, and a final column that represents the truth value of the overall statement. It also includes rows that represent different combinations of truth values for the propositions.

How can truth tables be used in scientific research?

Truth tables can be used in scientific research to evaluate the validity of logical arguments and to determine the truth values of complex statements. They can also be used to identify patterns and relationships between propositions, which can aid in hypothesis testing and data analysis.