Is pronunciation reform the key to a fully phonetic alphabet?

In summary: The implementation of a fully phonetic alphabet would be easier than English spelling reform because most people are resigned to the notion that it has zero chance of success. However, pronunciation reform could be many times more likely to succeed.
atyy said:

Those politicians are being quite rude. I'm an American and I got most of what he was saying the first time, and fully understood by the second. If those guys want Scotland to be part of the UK, the least they could do is learn to understand how their own countrymen speak.

Likes BillTre
Science news on Phys.org
Algr said:
If those guys want Scotland to be part of the UK, the least they could do is learn to understand how their own countrymen speak.
The SNP -which is the party currently in power in Scotland- is the Scottish National Party.
They don't want Scotland to be part of the UK...Leaving the union is their main goal and I don't think they care at all if someone from England can understand what they are saying.

Likes pinball1970
f95toli said:
The SNP -which is the party currently in power in Scotland- is the Scottish National Party.
They don't want Scotland to be part of the UK...Leaving the union is their main goal and I don't think they care at all if someone from England can understand what they are saying.
I was faulting the other politicians for not understanding Scottish as well as an American, and seemingly laughing at this guy's accent. That would promote disunity. If it was just some ordinary Joe, that would be different. But in the halls of government, more responsibility is needed.

While Prez Teddy Roosevelt issued an executive order that spelling should be phonetic. The order was ignored. Teddy followed this practice but no one else did.