Is $s$ the unique vector that spans the solution space $L(A,0)$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the laplace formula for calculating determinants and the properties of the vector $s$. It is shown that there exists a unique vector $s$ such that for any row vector $z$, $\det \left [\left (\frac{A}{z}\right )\right ]=\sum_{i=1}^nz_is_i=z\cdot s$. It is also discussed how this vector $s$ can span the solution space $L(A,0)$ of the linear system of equations $A\cdot x=0$ as a $K$-vector space. Additionally, the conversation considers the uniqueness of $s$ and the properties it must have in relation to the matrix $A
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

For a field $K$ and $1<n\in \mathbb{N}$ let $A\in K^{(n-1)\times n}$ aa matrix with rank $n-1$. For a row vector $z\in K^{1\times n}$ let $\left (\frac{A}{z}\right )\in K^{n\times n}$ be the matrix that we get if we add as the $n$-th row of the matrix $A$ the vector $z$.

To show that there is a column vector $s=(s_1, \ldots , s_n)^T$ such that for each row vector $z=(z_1, \ldots , z_n)$ it holds $$\det \left [\left (\frac{A}{z}\right )\right ]=\sum_{i=1}^nz_is_i=z\cdot s$$ we consider the laplace formula for the clculation of the determinant. We expand for the last row. For $i\in \{1, \ldots , n\}$ let $A_i$ be the submatrix of$A$ if we remove the $i$-th columnn and $s_i:=(-1)^{i+n}\det A_i$.

Then we get $$\det \left [\left (\frac{A}{z}\right )\right ]=\sum_{i=1}^nz_is_i$$

Is this correct? (Wondering) We wcould also for an other row or column, right?I want to show that the vector $s$ spans the solution space $L(A,0)$ of the linear system of equations $A\cdot x=0$ as a $K$-vector space.

How could we do that? Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
To show that there is a column vector $s=(s_1, \ldots , s_n)^T$ such that for each row vector $z=(z_1, \ldots , z_n)$ it holds $$\det \left [\left (\frac{A}{z}\right )\right ]=\sum_{i=1}^nz_is_i=z\cdot s$$ we consider the laplace formula for the clculation of the determinant. We expand for the last row. For $i\in \{1, \ldots , n\}$ let $A_i$ be the submatrix of$A$ if we remove the $i$-th columnn and $s_i:=(-1)^{i+n}\det A_i$.

Then we get $$\det \left [\left (\frac{A}{z}\right )\right ]=\sum_{i=1}^nz_is_i$$

Is this correct?

Hey mathmari!

Yep.

mathmari said:
We wcould also for an other row or column, right?

Didn't we already do it for all rows and columns? (Thinking)

mathmari said:
I want to show that the vector $s$ spans the solution space $L(A,0)$ of the linear system of equations $A\cdot x=0$ as a $K$-vector space.

How could we do that? Could you give me a hint?

What is the rank of the solution space $L(A,0)$?
Is $\mathbf s$ unique and non-zero?
What is $A\cdot\mathbf s$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Didn't we already do it for all rows and columns? (Thinking)

What do you mean? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
What is the rank of the solution space $L(A,0)$?
Is $\mathbf s$ unique and non-zero?
What is $A\cdot\mathbf s$? (Wondering)

The solution space is equal the kernel of$A$, right?

$s$ is uniquely defined.

We have that $\text{Rank}(A)=n-1$ so from the formula of dimensions we get that $\dim (\ker(A))=1$. That means that the basis of the solution space contains only one element.

If $z$ is an arbitrary row of $A$, $z=a_i, \forall i$, then $a_i\cdot s=0$. That means that $A\cdot s=0$, so $s\in \ker (A)$, and so $s$ is contained in the soution space.

From that we get the desired result, right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
What do you mean?

Didn't we find each of the $s_i$ by working through each of the columns?
And by using all rows to find the sub determinant $\det(A_i)$? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
The solution space is equal the kernel of$A$, right?

$s$ is uniquely defined.

We have that $\text{Rank}(A)=n-1$ so from the formula of dimensions we get that $\dim (\ker(A))=1$. That means that the basis of the solution space contains only one element.

If $z$ is an arbitrary row of $A$, $z=a_i, \forall i$, then $a_i\cdot s=0$. That means that $A\cdot s=0$, so $s\in \ker (A)$, and so $s$ is contained in the soution space.

From that we get the desired result, right?

Suppose $\mathbf s$ is the zero vector. Then all these statements are true, but we still don't get the desired result do we? (Wondering)

How did you find that $\mathbf s$ is unique?
You did find that there is at least one $\mathbf s$, but there could still be more, couldn't there? (Wondering)

1. What is the meaning of "S spans the solution space" in scientific research?

"S spans the solution space" refers to the idea that a particular set of variables or conditions, represented by the variable S, is capable of producing all possible solutions to a given problem or question. In other words, S encompasses all possible solutions within a specific domain.

2. How is "S spans the solution space" relevant in scientific experiments?

The concept of "S spans the solution space" is crucial in scientific experiments as it allows researchers to systematically explore and test various combinations of variables in order to identify the most effective or optimal solution to a problem. It also helps in understanding the limits and boundaries of a given problem or phenomenon.

3. Can you provide an example of "S spans the solution space" in a scientific study?

One example of "S spans the solution space" can be seen in a study examining the factors that contribute to plant growth. The variable S in this case would represent all the possible combinations of environmental conditions, such as sunlight, water, and nutrients, that can influence plant growth. By systematically varying these conditions, researchers can determine the optimal set of factors that promote maximum plant growth.

4. How does the concept of "S spans the solution space" relate to the scientific method?

The concept of "S spans the solution space" is integral to the scientific method as it allows researchers to test and refine their hypotheses by systematically exploring all potential solutions to a problem. By varying the conditions represented by S, scientists can gather evidence and make conclusions about the most effective solution.

5. Are there any limitations to the idea of "S spans the solution space"?

While the concept of "S spans the solution space" is a useful tool in scientific research, it is important to note that it is not always possible to explore all possible solutions due to constraints such as time, resources, or ethical considerations. In some cases, researchers may need to make assumptions or simplifications in order to effectively study a problem, which may limit the scope of S.