Is SpaceX A Viable Option in Space Exploration?

In summary, SpaceX is a private spaceflight company attempting to make technological advancements in order to make space travel more affordable and accessible for the average person. However, they have had some recent setbacks, and their reusable rockets have not yet proved to be successful.
Tsubaki
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this would really fit into any specific area of the site. But I guess I was just wondering your opinions on SpaceX, and private spacefaring corporations in general. I'm not even going to get into Virgin Galactic or Mars One. :P
In terms of technological advancements and the future of humans in space, do you think that companies like SpaceX are going to lead the way, or are NASA, the ESA, and other publicly-funded programs still the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there enough "disposable income" to support sufficient "novelty revenue" to cover the upfront investment? No. "Be the first in your neighborhood to host a super bowl party in outer space," just isn't going to be a long term seller. Zero-g manufacturing and materials processing? Nah.

Likes Evo
They're going to have to improve their landings.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2015/01/spacex-releases-video-of-rocket-crash-landing-on-ocean-barge/

Likes Bystander
They're trying to bring it down a la Flash Gordon?

The Southern California-based company attempted the touchdown because it wants to launch reusable rockets to bring down costs.

Far as I know, until now everyone else disposes of their first stages post launch. Little to lose by trying.

Bystander said:
They're trying to bring it down a la Flash Gordon?
Aye, and they've done it near ground.

Okay, invest in the extra fuel to recover a high-dollar engine, rather than using a disposable solid fuel booster at (presumably) lower cost. Gain the advantage of rebuilding the high-dollar engine for somewhat less than original cost, and gain maybe a second or third flight per engine. This is preferable to dropping it in the water by parachute and using a flotation device while towing it back for rebuild "how?" I'm having difficulties seeing the economic advantage.

Bystander said:
Okay, invest in the extra fuel to recover a high-dollar engine, rather than using a disposable solid fuel booster at (presumably) lower cost. ...
From googling, advantages of liquid fuel over solid:
  • Greater efficiency of liquid fuels, e.g. Isp 286 for solid like ammonium perchlor and 452 for liquid H2/O2
  • No throttle for solid. I gather, in order for a vehicle to obtain orbit efficiently it must delay max thrust until after maximum dynamic air pressure.
  • Longer fueling time for solid, especially, I suppose, if its been in the ocean, and so is a disadvantage for high volume reuse.

They have become a significant player in the launch services industry with no signs of going away. In addition to this SpaceX seems to be attempting real practical space innovation with their recent landing attempt.

Bystander said:
Okay, invest in the extra fuel to recover a high-dollar engine, rather than using a disposable solid fuel booster at (presumably) lower cost. Gain the advantage of rebuilding the high-dollar engine for somewhat less than original cost, and gain maybe a second or third flight per engine. This is preferable to dropping it in the water by parachute and using a flotation device while towing it back for rebuild "how?" I'm having difficulties seeing the economic advantage.
Even parachuted, I think a 14 story rocket could damage itself crashing into the water, and a chute system also carries weight and complexity I suppose. I'd be curious to know more about the chute vs. powered decent tradeoff as well.

MisterX said:
Even parachuted, I think a 14 story rocket could damage itself crashing into the water, and a chute system also carries weight and complexity I suppose. I'd be curious to know more about the chute vs. powered decent tradeoff as well.
Shuttle dropped its SRBs by parachute into the ocean for years and recovered them for reuse. With a simple engine, no fuel mix and turbo pumps that would not like sea water, an SRB sounds like a good candidate for sea recovery. There are videos of shuttle SRB descent all the way to splash.

mheslep said:
Google seems to think so, if getting to orbit cheaply qualifies as part of "space exploration".

SpaceX Sells 10% Stake to Google, Fidelity for $1 Billion

Musk is good, but he's phenomenally lucky.

As I understand it this has zero to do with space exploration and 100% to do with giving Google new ways to get people connected to the internet.

mheslep said:
From googling, advantages of liquid fuel over solid:
  • Greater efficiency of liquid fuels, e.g. Isp 286 for solid like ammonium perchlor and 452 for liquid H2/O2
  • No throttle for solid. I gather, in order for a vehicle to obtain orbit efficiently it must delay max thrust until after maximum dynamic air pressure.
  • Longer fueling time for solid, especially, I suppose, if its been in the ocean, and so is a disadvantage for high volume reuse.

There are also some reliability benefits, as well as benefits to the launch environment. Solids are unstoppable once started, so if a problem is detected in the moments before liftoff (as has already happened with SpaceX), you can't really do anything about it other than lose the vehicle/payload. They also can't be test fired (and SpaceX likes to test fire their stages prior to each flight).

In addition, solid motors generate substantially more vibration than liquid motors for a given thrust level, which is hard on payloads and structure, and their burn time tends to be rather short (so they don't tend to be particularly good for imparting a lot of delta v, though they are good for getting a heavyish rocket off the ground that would otherwise have a mediocre thrust to weight ratio).

Interestingly, your second point isn't a particularly big deal, since solid fuel motors can be tailored to give any thrust profile you want (and with knowledge of the vehicle ascent profile, you can delay peak thrust until after max q).

Last edited:
Likes mheslep
mheslep said:
Shuttle dropped its SRBs by parachute into the ocean for years and recovered them for reuse. With a simple engine, no fuel mix and turbo pumps that would not like sea water, an SRB sounds like a good candidate for sea recovery. There are videos of shuttle SRB descent all the way to splash.

And those were thick, ultra high strength steel and weighed 200,000 pounds each (empty), and they still had to be checked for roundness and carefully refurbished after each landing. The Falcon 9 first stage is much weaker (it doesn't have to hold 800+PSI inside of it), much lighter (~40,000 pounds empty), and much more prone to buckling.

cjl said:
And those were thick, ultra high strength steel and weighed 200,000 pounds each (empty), and they still had to be checked for roundness and carefully refurbished after each landing.
After rewatching an SRB recovery, that is no surprise. I thought ocean impact would be max stress, but now I think the aerodynamics on descent before 'chute and the temperature shock from the water would be most likely to do damage.

cjl said:
...The Falcon 9 first stage is much weaker (it doesn't have to hold 800+PSI inside of it), much lighter (~40,000 pounds empty), and much more prone to buckling.
If SpaceX masters 1st stage retro descent and reuse, it occurs to me they can afford to use more sophisticated materials for structural support and engines. For example, carbon fiber may make sense for a first stage that is not fated to disintegrate or find the ocean bottom. Then the SpaceX payload-mass/orbit increases, cost/launch decreases, and all at once they have large competitive jump on the rest of the industry.

1. What is SpaceX and what is its role in space exploration?

SpaceX, also known as Space Exploration Technologies Corp., is a private aerospace company founded by entrepreneur Elon Musk. Its main goal is to reduce space transportation costs and enable the colonization of Mars through the development of reusable rockets and spacecraft.

2. How does SpaceX compare to other space agencies, such as NASA?

SpaceX differs from traditional space agencies, such as NASA, in that it is a privately funded company rather than a government agency. This allows for more flexibility and innovation in its approach to space exploration.

3. Has SpaceX had any successful missions in space exploration?

Yes, SpaceX has had several successful missions, including launching satellites and resupplying the International Space Station. In 2020, SpaceX made history by becoming the first private company to launch astronauts into orbit.

4. What are the advantages of using SpaceX for space exploration?

One of the main advantages of using SpaceX for space exploration is the lower cost compared to traditional space agencies. SpaceX's reusable rockets and spacecraft also make it a more sustainable option. Additionally, SpaceX's focus on innovation and technology could lead to faster advancements in space exploration.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or concerns with using SpaceX for space exploration?

Some potential concerns include the safety of astronauts and the reliability of SpaceX's technology. As a privately funded company, there may also be concerns about the motives and priorities of SpaceX in space exploration. Additionally, there may be ethical concerns surrounding the commercialization of space.