Is taking the square value of a dot product a valid mathematical operation?

In summary, during a discussion about the proof of Compton scattering, it was mentioned that the dot product can be written as a squared value. However, this only applies when numbers are squared and the dot product can also be thought of as the projection of one vector onto another. This understanding may help in understanding why the dot product works in this way.
Eats Dirt
I was recently going through the proof of Compton scattering and I saw that they took a square value and wrote it as p^2=p(dot)p= etc... Is this true or all squared values?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of dot product and see what you get for a general vector.

SteamKing said:
Use the definition of dot product and see what you get for a general vector.

<A,A>=AAcos(0)=AA(1)=AA=A^2

So this only applies when numbers are squared. I just find it strange that the dot product only applies to when normal multiplication is the square of a number and not at any other cases for example if A=/=B AB=/=ABcosθ. I guess I just don't understand where the dot product comes from enough to understand why it works like this.

A dot B can be thought of a the projection of A onto B. If A and B are the same vector, then A dot B = A^2

I can confirm that the value squared of a dot product is indeed a valid mathematical operation. In the context of Compton scattering, the dot product is used to calculate the momentum transfer between a photon and an electron. Taking the square value of this dot product allows for a simpler and more concise representation of the momentum transfer equation.

In general, taking the square value of a dot product is applicable in cases where the dot product is used to calculate a quantity that is squared, such as momentum or energy. However, it is not always necessary to take the square value, as it depends on the specific equation or problem being solved.

In summary, the use of value squared in a dot product is a valid mathematical operation, and it is commonly used in various scientific fields, including physics and engineering. It is important to understand the context and reasoning behind taking the square value in order to accurately apply it in calculations.

Related to Is taking the square value of a dot product a valid mathematical operation?

1. What is the formula for calculating the value squared a dot product?

The formula for calculating the value squared a dot product is (a1b1)2 + (a2b2)2 + ... + (anbn)2, where a and b are vectors of dimension n.

2. How is value squared a dot product used in scientific research?

Value squared a dot product is commonly used in scientific research for measuring the similarity or correlation between two sets of data. It is also used in machine learning algorithms for feature selection and dimensionality reduction.

3. What is the importance of value squared a dot product in linear algebra?

Value squared a dot product is one of the fundamental operations in linear algebra, and it is used for various applications such as vector projections, calculating angles between vectors, and determining orthogonality. It also plays a crucial role in matrix operations and solving systems of linear equations.

4. Can value squared a dot product have a negative value?

No, value squared a dot product can never have a negative value. The dot product of two vectors always results in a scalar value, which is always positive or zero. Therefore, when squaring the dot product, the result will always be positive.

5. How is value squared a dot product related to the cosine of the angle between two vectors?

The value squared a dot product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of two vectors multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them. This relationship is known as the geometric interpretation of the dot product and is often used to calculate the angle between two vectors.