Is the Belt Trick Possible with Continuous Deformation in 3D Rotation Space?

cianfa72
TL;DR Summary
About the untwisting of the Dirac's belt ##4\pi## rotation along a path in the ##x,y## plane in the sphere 3D rotations space.
Hi, in the following video at 15:15 the twist of ##4\pi## along the ##x## red axis is "untwisted" through a continuous deformation of the path on the sphere 3D rotations space.

My concern is the following: keeping fixed the orientation in space of the start and the end of the belt, it seems there exist a continuous deformation of the belt taking place only in the ##x,y## plane that allows to untwist completely the belt.

Is it actually the case ? In other words my concern is whether the belt actually supports this kind of continuous deformation.

Ps. See also at 12:25 why the rotation path along the twisted belt takes place only in ##x,y## plane of sphere rotations space.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cianfa72 said:
Is it actually the case ? In other words my concern is whether the belt actually supports this kind of continuous deformation.
I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you suspect that the physical demonstration shown near the start of the video is a fake? It's real -- you can test this yourself in the privacy of your own home. (Btw, it's also possible to untwist the ##4\pi## twist without raising the book like in the video, iirc.)

Likes martinbn and FactChecker
strangerep said:
Do you suspect that the physical demonstration shown near the start of the video is a fake? It's real -- you can test this yourself in the privacy of your own home.
Yes, it'real (I tested it).

strangerep said:
it's also possible to untwist the ##4\pi## twist without raising the book like in the video, iirc.
Yes, however I've not a clear understanding why in the video the untwisting process may take place involving only points in the ##x,y## plane of the representative sphere of 3D spatial rotations (i.e. not involving any point off ##x,y## plane).

Last edited:
strangerep said:
(Btw, it's also possible to untwist the ##4\pi## twist without raising the book like in the video, iirc.)
I was not able to do this. Is there a trick or a reference that I can look at?

FactChecker said:
Is there a trick or a reference that I can look at?
Take a look to the c) picture from Penrose's book

Capture.JPG

Simply loop the belt over the book !

Likes FactChecker
cianfa72 said:

View attachment 338604
Right, but I interpret "loop the belt over the book" as requiring the book be up so that the belt can go under it. I can't se how to get it to work otherwise.

FactChecker said:
Right, but I interpret "loop the belt over the book" as requiring the book be up so that the belt can go under it. I can't se how to get it to work otherwise.
I see in this video (not the one in the OP) that it is not necessary to circle anything around the stationary end (the book or her body in the video). It is only necessary to circle the rotated end around the belt (or hair in the video). So I will experiment more.
UPDATE: Sure enough. It works.

cianfa72 said:
This whole thing seems similar to a rubber-band around some object.
A rubber band going once around an object can lay flat, without twists, similar to the first picture.
If the band goes around twice, there's a full twist to it (2π), and it cannot lay flat (2nd picture)
If it goes around thrice (4π twist), it can be made to lay flat or not (3rd picture).

Ditto for any even/odd number of times around.

The physics of this similarly applies to folding up one of those mesh laundry bags with stiff wire hoops encircling 4 sides. They sold in the stable state of being folded in triplicate. It doesn't work if you try to go around only twice.

We can calculate the composition of 3D rotations using composition of quaternions. According to the ##4\pi## untwisting path in OP video, the belt must support rotations along axes that involve a component along the ##z## axis.

Or, said in other words, which is the condition on the belt such that the twisting process at 12:25 is described by a curve that lies entirely in the ##x,y## plane of the representative sphere of the 3D rotation space (and it is not an arbitrary closed curve through the origin) ?

Last edited:

1. Can the belt trick be performed with continuous deformation in 3D rotation space?

Yes, the belt trick can be performed with continuous deformation in 3D rotation space. This concept involves rotating a belt around an object in such a way that it appears to flip inside out without any twists or kinks.

2. What is continuous deformation in 3D rotation space?

Continuous deformation in 3D rotation space refers to the smooth and continuous transformation of an object in three-dimensional space without any sudden jumps or breaks. It allows for the object to be manipulated in a way that preserves its shape and structure throughout the process.

3. How is the belt trick related to continuous deformation in 3D rotation space?

The belt trick is a visual representation of continuous deformation in 3D rotation space. By rotating a belt around an object in a specific manner, it demonstrates how the object can be transformed smoothly and continuously without any interruptions or discontinuities.

4. What are the applications of understanding continuous deformation in 3D rotation space?

Understanding continuous deformation in 3D rotation space has various applications in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and animation. It allows for more realistic and natural movements of objects in three-dimensional space, leading to improved simulations and visual effects.

5. Are there any limitations to performing the belt trick with continuous deformation in 3D rotation space?

While the belt trick can be performed with continuous deformation in 3D rotation space, there may be limitations depending on the complexity of the object and the specific rotations involved. Some shapes may require more intricate manipulations to achieve the desired effect, but the concept of continuous deformation still applies.