Is the Convergence Uniform?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation discusses the sequence of functions $f_n=\sin(x)-\frac{nx}{1+n^2}$ and checking for pointwise and uniform convergence. It is found that the sequence converges pointwise to $f^{\star}=\sin(x)$ but not uniformly. The concept of uniform convergence is clarified with a comment on grammar.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :giggle:

We have the sequence of functions $$f_n=\sin (x)-\frac{nx}{1+n^2}$$ I want to check the pointwise andthe uniform convergence.

We have that $$f^{\star}(x)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}f_n(x)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left (\sin (x)-\frac{nx}{1+n^2}\right )=\sin(x)$$ So $f_n(x)$ converges pointwise to$f^{\star}=\sin(x)$.
We have that $$\left |f_n(x)-f^{\star}(x)\right |=\left |\sin (x)-\frac{nx}{1+n^2}-\sin(x)\right |=\left |-\frac{nx}{1+n^2}\right |$$ We have to calculate first the supremum for $x\in \mathbb{R}$ and then the limit for $n\rightarrow \infty$.
Isn't the supremum $x\in \mathbb{R}$ the infinity? :unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Isn't the supremum $x\in \mathbb{R}$ the infinity?
Hey mathmari!

Yes, it is. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yes, it is. (Nod)

So $f_n$ doesn't converge uniformly to$f^{\star}$, right? :unsure:

mathmari said:
So $f_n$ doesn't converge uniformly to$f^{\star}$, right?

Indeed. :geek:

Comment on Grammer: "uniformly" is an adverb and so modifies to verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs. Here "converge" is a noun and so requires the adjective "uniform".

One can ask "Does this converge uniformly?" or "Is this convergence uniform?" but not "Is this convergence uniformly".

(Yes, I realize this was probably just a typo but I couldn't help myself!)

1. What does it mean for a sequence to converge uniformly?

Uniform convergence means that as the number of terms in a sequence approaches infinity, the distance between the terms and the limit of the sequence becomes smaller and smaller, regardless of where you are in the sequence. In other words, the convergence is the same everywhere in the sequence.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

In pointwise convergence, the distance between the terms and the limit may vary at different points in the sequence. This means that the convergence is not necessarily the same everywhere in the sequence, unlike uniform convergence.

3. What are some examples of sequences that converge uniformly?

Some examples of sequences that converge uniformly include the sequence 1/n, the sequence x^n (where x is between -1 and 1), and the sequence sin(nx) (where n is a positive integer).

4. How can I determine if a sequence is converging uniformly?

To determine if a sequence is converging uniformly, you can use the Cauchy criterion. This states that a sequence converges uniformly if and only if for any positive number ε, there exists a natural number N such that for all n > N and for all x in the domain, the distance between the terms and the limit is less than ε.

5. Can a sequence converge pointwise but not uniformly?

Yes, a sequence can converge pointwise but not uniformly. This means that the distance between the terms and the limit may vary at different points in the sequence, making it not uniformly convergent. An example of this is the sequence x^n (where x is between -1 and 1), which converges pointwise to 0 but not uniformly.