Is the Derivative of a Multivariable Function Lipschitz?

In summary, the author is looking for a way to prove that the derivative of a function is Lipschitz, but is having difficulty finding a suitable example.
WastedGunner
Here is a tough one:

Say we have a multivariable function f:R^n -> R
and for any x, and direction u, the function g:R->R defined as g(t)=f(x+tu) has that g'(t) is Lipschitz with the same Lipschitz constant (say M). For special cases, taking u to be any basis element we see that every partial restricted to the direction of its axis is Lipschitz

Can I then prove that the derivative Df(x) (or equivalently any partial derivative) is Lipschitz as well.

the 1-dimensional case is trivial:

|(Df(y)-Df(x))\cdot e_i| = |g'(y)-g'(x)|<M|y-x| Lipschitz. (g is defined above with x=0 and u=e_1)

It is the n>1 cases that poses a problem, because I find that if y-x is not parallel with e_i we run into problems.

I have been working on this problem for a while and find I am working in circles now.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know sometimes people think that if partial derivatives exist, then the function would be differentiable, but that's not always true, because it can happen that the expression

[tex]
\frac{f(x+tu) - f(x)}{t}
[/tex]

has a limit when [itex]t\to 0[/itex] for all fixed [itex]u\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], but for some suitable differentiable function [itex]u(t)=a_1t + \frac{1}{2}a_2t^2 + \cdots[/itex], a limit of an expression

[tex]
\frac{f(x+u(t)) - f(x)}{t}
[/tex]

(if existing) does not agree with the partial derivative in direction [itex]a_1[/itex].

Perhaps a similar problem could ruin your hypothesis? There might exist a differentiable function, for which the derivatives in any fixed direction are always Lipschitz, but for which derivatives along some curves are not?

Thanks for your reply.

I know that the existence of partial derivatives does not guarantee a differentiable function.

I have been unable to construct a counter example, the condition that all those function have a uniform Lipschitz constant is a very strong condition.

Also, on the note of partial derivatives, it is true however that if all the partials are continuous that the function is differentiable (in fact it is [tex]C^1[/tex])

I guess I'll just think about this problem some more.

PS i read how to imbed latex into posts.

Related to Is the Derivative of a Multivariable Function Lipschitz?

1. What is the definition of a Lipschitz derivative?

A Lipschitz derivative is a function that satisfies a Lipschitz condition, which means that there exists a constant K such that the absolute value of the derivative at any two points is less than or equal to K times the distance between those two points.

2. How do I determine if a derivative is Lipschitz?

To determine if a derivative is Lipschitz, you need to calculate the derivative and then find a constant K such that the absolute value of the derivative at any two points is less than or equal to K times the distance between those two points. If you can find a constant K, then the derivative is Lipschitz.

3. What are the benefits of having a Lipschitz derivative?

A Lipschitz derivative has several benefits, including being continuous and having a unique solution to initial value problems. It also allows for the use of numerical methods, such as the Euler method, to approximate solutions to differential equations.

4. Are all derivatives Lipschitz?

No, not all derivatives are Lipschitz. For a derivative to be Lipschitz, it must satisfy the Lipschitz condition, which means there exists a constant K such that the absolute value of the derivative at any two points is less than or equal to K times the distance between those two points. If a derivative does not satisfy this condition, then it is not Lipschitz.

5. Is it possible for a derivative to be Lipschitz on one interval but not on another?

Yes, it is possible for a derivative to be Lipschitz on one interval but not on another. This is because the Lipschitz condition depends on the distance between two points, so if the distance changes, the constant K may also change, and the derivative may no longer satisfy the Lipschitz condition.