Is the Function f Non-Singular and Positive?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of "positive" in the context of a function \(f\) that gives out complex values. The problem at hand is to prove that this function is non-singular, and the question is whether it is positive. The answer to this question is that a function in this form is considered positive if \(f(X,\,X)>0\) for any \(X (\neq 0)\in M_{n}\).
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

I just want to know what "positive" means in this context? Is it positive definiteness or something? I mean, we cannot speak about the positivity or the negativity of the function \(f\) since it gives out complex values.

Problem:

Prove that the function \(f:\, M_{n}(\mathbb{C})\times M_{n}(\mathbb{C})\rightarrow \mathbb{C}\) given by \(f(X,\,Y)=\mbox{Tr }(X^{t}\overline{Y})\) is non-singular. Is \(f\) positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

I just want to know what "positive" means in this context? Is it positive definiteness or something? I mean, we cannot speak about the positivity or the negativity of the function \(f\) since it gives out complex values.

Problem:

Prove that the function \(f:\, M_{n}(\mathbb{C})\times M_{n}(\mathbb{C})\rightarrow \mathbb{C}\) given by \(f(X,\,Y)=\mbox{Tr }(X^{t}\overline{Y})\) is non-singular. Is \(f\) positive?

Hi again, :)

I found the answer. This kind of sesquilinear (or Hermitian) bilinear function is called positive when \(f(X,\,X)>0\) for any \(X (\neq 0)\in M_{n}\) which makes sense. :)

Related to Is the Function f Non-Singular and Positive?

What does it mean for a function to be positive?

A function is considered positive if its output values are greater than zero for all input values within its domain. In other words, a positive function only returns positive numbers.

How can you determine if a function is positive?

To determine if a function is positive, you can graph it and see if all points on the graph lie above the x-axis. Alternatively, you can evaluate the function at different input values and check if the output values are all positive.

What are the characteristics of a positive function?

A positive function has a graph that lies above the x-axis and only returns positive output values. It also has a positive slope and is increasing from left to right.

Can a function be positive and negative at the same time?

No, a function cannot be both positive and negative at the same time. It can only be one or the other, depending on its output values.

Why is it important to know if a function is positive?

Knowing if a function is positive can help in various real-world applications, such as determining the profitability of a business or the direction of a moving object. It also helps in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the function.